anybody know or remember James Smith from Patrick street?

The Town and its People past and present...
Musicman72
Stellar Member

anybody know or remember James Smith from Patrick street?

Post by Musicman72 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:56 pm

Hi my Father was James Smith from 78 Patrick street,was wondering if anybody would remember him,would love to hear from you.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: anybody know or remember James Smith from Patrick street?

Post by Rocker » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:46 pm

Hello musicman, welcome to the site. When did your father live in Patrick Street? I only knew some people down at the Georges Street end and that was about 50 years ago. Hope someone can remember him.

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:09 pm

Welcome to the site Musicman. I grew up on Mulgrave Terrace but I didn't know many people from Patrick Street. What era are we talking about? it looks like a business today.

Musicman72
Stellar Member

Post by Musicman72 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:53 pm

Hi Thanks for reply, he was born in that house in 1936.Only child to James snr and bridget,had a brother and sister but they died very young of TB.He joined British Army in 1954 and returned home when his mother died in 1964 I think.Lived there till 1971, and then sold house and moved to Raheny.He was involved in the dance hall Orchid rooms and I think the Top Hat, played a bit on the drums,was a regular 🙂in the Carney Arms.Mentioned afew chaos he knocked about with-Vinny Cheever's ,scissors Cunningham.Might ring a bell with someone 👍👍

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:56 pm

Ahh, there's got to be some members here remember him. Let's wait and see. thumbright

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:43 am

I would have to go down and check, but, I think that house was built in the 1970's/80's. The house to the left was at one time occupied by Paddy Darcy plumber for the Lords of the Soil. When these 'new' houses were build one of them was occupied by a brother of Noel Furlong. The house with the red door was the home of the Costello family, behind these houses was the Sudocrem factory in the late 50's and early 60's, I remember hearing a story from Madge Costello that prior to Sudocrem there was an undertaker and coffin maker on the site.
Scissors Cunningham was a regular in the Orchid Rooms particularly when it was run by Scoop Johnson, also a resident of Patrick Street.