Water and other political issues.

Anything relating to politics whatsoever to be posted here specifically. You may start as many topics as you like.
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Re: Water and other political issues.

Post by Sinead » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:18 pm

Statutory Instruments are a very quick and easy way of implementing legislation. Under the Finance Act the then Minister gave very wide ranging powers to the Central Bank who can make amendments as they think fit.

Sinéad

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:56 am

An S.I. is an effective way to implement legislation. Having the desire to do it is an entirely different matter.

zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:19 pm

gingertom wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:31 pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.3811041

Discuss......

Not a lot to discuss really GT. Loss of reputation, I doubt it in his circles, and 1 million, small change to him. sighhh

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:43 pm

I would suggest that it shows that we do have a lot to discuss. Can money buy justice, when money is no object?
This decision may suggest that it does not have that effect...in our jurisdiction anyway?

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:05 pm

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.3811518

The thin blue line does exist and even when not on duty. The real problem is that An Garda Síochána is under-resourced, undervalued and taken for granted. The responsibility for solving problems to ensure that an appropriate program of policing is implemented and effected lies within the management of the Garda, not with the rank and file. Not to mention that the Government must support policing in finance and legislation. I suggest that when 'traditional' Garda Management retires, the organisational direction will hopefully morph into line with the views of contemporary Irish public opinion........without the PC element though.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:02 pm

gingertom wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:31 pm
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.3811041

Discuss......

I would expect DoB will not take that loss lightly and will be on the blower to his friends in the Bliderberg Club ..... it would not surprise me if the Sunday Business Post is targeted in some other way by some other entity within a year as revenge can take many different forms..... this is far from over.

When you ask can money buy justice, when money is no object? I think it depends on what the individuals definition of justice is........ and to the very wealthy, justice means nothing because winning is everything.

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:39 am

I like this statement!
She said the case highlighted the extent to which Ireland’s defamation laws place significant constraints on all Irish media outlets in their efforts to provide robust, objective and fair scrutiny of the stories that matter to Irish democracy. “We believe it is time for action to reform the relevant defamation laws and to ensure that the media are liberated from unreasonable pressures which currently exist.

I also like this statement"“The work of Tom Lyons, Ian Kehoe and the Sunday Business Post was manifestly in the public interest,” he said. “Mr Lyons and Mr Kehoe withstood enormous pressure in the witness box and deserve credit for the manner in which they stood up for the principles of media freedom."

As far as I can see journalists are scared to do any in depth investigating for fear of being sued and DOD and many others with money and legal aides have been able to keep their names out of most media.

I like Tom Lyons.

Up to a few weeks ago when I did some serious clearing I had that article!

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:57 pm

Why of why is this man so enamoured with litigation? I would love to be his Barrister, even the Junior, I would never be out of work. Has justice been done? Who knows, the judgement could be overturned on appeal. It would appear to me, a lay person, that this man always challenges statements of fact.