Water and other political issues.

Anything relating to politics whatsoever to be posted here specifically. You may start as many topics as you like.
Toss
The Man.

Re: Water and other political issues.

Post by Toss » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 pm

Obvious solution, but would such an action convince anyone in D4 (or here) to vote SF in our next election if they did it ?

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Toss wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 pm
Obvious solution, but would such an action convince anyone in D4 (or here) to vote SF in our next election if they did it ?
I have to say that there are a lot of people in the Borough who vote SF. There is an excellent, hard working SF Councillor in Killiney/Ballybrack.

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:10 pm

I agree Rocker, but the bigger picture tells the story :

SF got 3.4% of the votes from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown voters in the last local election ....https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... -1.3890427.

That shows the level of support they have, 96 out of every 100 votes went against them, it would take a huge shift in the electorates mind for any change. There is a fear about voting SF, I know people who think a vote for SF will have guns back on the streets and murderers running the country. I have asked people in highly qualified positions would they ever vote SF and the response is either a look of fear or a 'God no, they would ruin the country man'.

Like it or not, SF's audience is the lower classes and that is a section that probably returns the lowest voter numbers. In order for SF to succeed, middle class Ireland would need a massive change of heart and that will not happen as they have voted the same parties in for generations.

Dare I say.... there will never be a 'swing' vote to SF no matter what they do. They exist to give the minorities a reason to vote but if they get too big the Government could always change the boundaries ..... 'in order to improve the balance of representation, the electoral division of Foxrock-Beechpark is moved into the Blackrock local electoral area. The electoral division of Cabinteely-Loughlinstown is included in thelocal electoral area of Killiney -Shankill local electoral area, better aligning local electoral area boundaries' ...... not that it would ever happen :lol:

My question was not aimed at existing SF voters, but the people who have never voted for them..... would SF making such a move as suggested by GT, get them any more votes in South Dublin ? only those who have never voted Sf can answer that.

gingertom

Post by gingertom » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:15 pm

Toss wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 pm
This needs not to be done in order to ensure a no deal Brexit.

zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.

gingertom

Post by gingertom » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Toss wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:10 pm
I agree Rocker, but the bigger picture tells the story :

SF got 3.4% of the votes from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown voters in the last local election ....https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politic ... -1.3890427.

That shows the level of support they have, 96 out of every 100 votes went against them, it would take a huge shift in the electorates mind for any change. There is a fear about voting SF, I know people who think a vote for SF will have guns back on the streets and murderers running the country. I have asked people in highly qualified positions would they ever vote SF and the response is either a look of fear or a 'God no, they would ruin the country man'.

Like it or not, SF's audience is the lower classes and that is a section that probably returns the lowest voter numbers. In order for SF to succeed, middle class Ireland would need a massive change of heart and that will not happen as they have voted the same parties in for generations.

Dare I say.... there will never be a 'swing' vote to SF no matter what they do. They exist to give the minorities a reason to vote but if they get too big the Government could always change the boundaries ..... 'in order to improve the balance of representation, the electoral division of Foxrock-Beechpark is moved into the Blackrock local electoral area. The electoral division of Cabinteely-Loughlinstown is included in thelocal electoral area of Killiney -Shankill local electoral area, better aligning local electoral area boundaries' ...... not that it would ever happen :lol:

My question was not aimed at existing SF voters, but the people who have never voted for them..... would SF making such a move as suggested by GT, get them any more votes in South Dublin? only those who have never voted Sf can answer that.
What I suggested was that if the Westminster Sinn Féin MPs, upon taking the requisite oath, which must be taken in order to enter Westminster did subsequently vote, if and when the opportunity might arise, against the U.K Parliament allowing the possibility of a no-deal Brexit.....it would charge matters in favour of the retention and full implementation(if necessary) of the Backstop. If Sinn Féin did this...who would form a political alliance with them in our Republic?
The history suggests that if Fine Gael supporters, gave proper due deference to Michael Collins.....maybe political expediency would prevail!
Unfortunately, Sinn Féin are not yet sufficiently responsible to be in full governmental control, in any jurisdiction.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 pm

gingertom wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:25 pm
Unfortunately, Sinn Féin are not yet sufficiently responsible to be in full governmental control, in any jurisdiction.
I would love to see a responsible government ..... election after election each one blames the other and we are now so far down 'the Nile' that it is impossible to get an honest answer or a solution to the myriad of ongoing disasters they have presided over. Bottom line is it all goes back on the the tax payer, whether its bailing out the banks, homelessness, health sevice disasters or buying useless electronic voting machines .... its not their fault BangHead .

gingertom

Post by gingertom » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Toss wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:27 pm
gingertom wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:25 pm
I would love to see a responsible government ..... election after election each one blames the other and we are now so far down 'the Nile' that it is impossible to get an honest answer or a solution to the myriad of ongoing disasters they have presided over. Bottom line is it all goes back on the the tax payer, whether its bailing out the banks, homelessness, health sevice disasters or buying useless electronic voting machines .... its not their fault BangHead .
I am citing their inexperience in holding full governmental office, as a Taoiseach led administration, with the element of the background noise of radicals playing a tune of........' they haven't gone away you know!'
Its a matter of the electorate having confidence that the radical tail of dissident republicanism, will and does not wag the mainstream dog of political policy, within Sinn Féin.
I do think that a coalition involving Sinn Féin would display their approach and who knows, it may well be bona fide application of policies.
We do really need a political alternative to the previous administrations and some of the local councilors who have now been thankfully rejected at the ballot box.