Just to let you know...

Anything relating to politics whatsoever to be posted here specifically. You may start as many topics as you like.
Toss
The Man.

Re: Just to let you know...

Post by Toss » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:58 pm

Rocker wrote:I feel that not enough of us so called "settled folk" understand the problem
Horrorific as the fire was, there should be no difference between an Irish, Polish, Nigerian, Traveller or any family dying in such terrible circumstances. However, the Travellers have made this a 'traveller' specific issue and played the minority rights card as they refused offers of alternative accommodation in areas not to their liking. I'm not sure how someone can claim to be a 'traveller' and yet refuse to travel to a new area?

I know some of the people living in Carrickmines who objected to the the travellers moving in beside them ... I think they as settled folk with years of living close to a campsite understand the problem very well. There was a lot of stuff not reported because Mother Ireland still cannot speak ill of the dead, but the locals know the score and there has been a noticable drop in crime and unruly behaviour around the area. Maybe not enough of the traveller community understand the settled community 'rights' as much as their traveller rights dontknow

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

slipper
Advanced Member

Post by slipper » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:48 am

Well said Toss, my sentiments entirely and we're lucky here to have someone as brave as you to articulate what I'm sure a lot of us feel. wuu wuu

jabra
Advanced Member

Post by jabra » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:07 pm

Agree with you Toss your only saying what most people are thinking

Jabra

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:14 am

Motor Tax renewal on line....scam

Just got an e mail from a pal about a scam he nearly fell for

Renewed motor tax on line but last night I recd an email purporting to come from the Motor Tax Renewal Office [The stationery used was exactly in appearance in every detail with the genuine stuff and the sender was the Motor Tax Renewal Section of the Dept Transport ,Tourism and Sport.The email addressed Dear X(his name) and went on to say that my online renewal had failed and it requested that I enter my car reg number and having done that it instructs to press continue which I did. However when I saw the menu which contained questions which I knew had to be a scam I logged out but the same message came in again on email this morning. I rang the renewal and they were aware of the scam but got little hearing. I rang the Dept and the person with whom I spoke also said that the Dept was aware of the scam but the attitude was 'Sure anybody would recognise it as a scam. I disagreed, I said that while I was savvy there were many who would not be and would walk into the trap and supply all the sensitive info requested as the whole thing looked so genuine including the email address of the sender and before they could say renewal their bank account would be cleared out. I got little sympathy or enthusiasm for my request that the Dept should highlight the scam in the media.
There is no doubt but that scammers are alive and well and extremely professional with their methods.

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

jabra
Advanced Member

Post by jabra » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:28 am

I got that email telling me my recent car tax renewal had failed even though I have my disc and
document. I just deleted it as I knew it was a scam but just goes to show some unfortunate people
are falling for it.

Jabra

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Just to let you know .......

The HSE spent over €76,000 on taxis EVERY day last year.

That is according to figures obtained by Newstalk under the Freedom of Information Act.

The data shows the executive spent €27.9 million on taxis across the organisation last year.

The average cost of running a family car for a year is €10,691.12 according to the AA's annual survey of motoring costs. I would imagone that I could buy a fleet of 500 cars, employ drivers, tax insure and service them and still have a lot of money left over from €27.8 million to create hospital beds.

BangHead BangHead BangHead

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Someone is on to a good thing!!! I read that report too. My husband was a taxi driver, yes, there was some health board work but it was mainly moving bloods around from hospital to hospital.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:21 am

Sinead wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:48 pm
Someone is on to a good thing!!! I read that report too. My husband was a taxi driver, yes, there was some health board work but it was mainly moving bloods around from hospital to hospital.
Indeed ... I suspect there's more than one :roll:

I don't understand how people see that and just ignore it ...... this is tax payers money and yet the tax payers seem to just accept such a scenario and look the other way. I listened to a debate on RTE tonight about the Childrens Hospital debacle and some Fine Geal representative kept repeating the mantra that his party have saved the country ...... not one of the panel had the gumption to challenge him and call it straight 'it was the taxpayer who saved the country by bailing out the banks' end of.

Seems the public is afraid to challenge the people they choose to run the country no matter how bad their failure.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:17 pm

I was at the most informative conference for "older people" yesterday. I learned about a few new services and am putting them up here.

Sage Advocy...I never heard of them till yesterday and this is a free service for people who might feel vulnerable in care/domestic situations or be suffering financial pressure or such like,
https://www.sageadvocacy.ie/about

We were advised about considering completing Enduring Power of Attorney while we are compos mentis so that in the event of dementia it will be in place,

http://enduringpower.ie/
again don't rush into it... Solicitors prices vary and shop around for the best deal. Look at Free Legal Aid sites and Citizen's Advice Centres.

We were also advised to complete a Think Ahead My form...available from Irish Hospice. This gives us the chance to put down our wishes now while we are healthy and to be able to bring it with us to care home or hospital if needs be
€4 Euro from Irish Hospice,
https://hospicefoundation.ie/shop/think ... -9-copies/

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White