Just to let you know...

Anything relating to politics whatsoever to be posted here specifically. You may start as many topics as you like.
Strum
Administrator

Just to let you know...

Post by Strum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:01 pm

New forum.

If you are interested please guide me to offensive "political" posts on the site so I can move them all to this Forum thanks, and if anybody in the future wants to avoid anything political on the Site, well it's as always as simple as going to the bottom of the forum and click on UNSUBSCRIBE topic :roll:

Jaze you know what pi$$es me off most? The bloo*y moaners here wouldn't dare speak out like they do here on social networking sites or Boards.ie or anywhere else I guess, (yes I can follow you and you're all so pleasant on other sites) just jump on the bandwagon here to diss this site. :evil:

I have two words for you. Post more.

Toss
The Man.

Re: Just to let you know...

Post by Toss » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:03 pm

wuu wuu wuu time to place that order ....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:06 pm

Thank you Toss but Daggers tend to glance off me without a stabvest. I'll leave that to cowards. ;)

I could start a Topic about D/L gossip if you like? :evil:

I personally have little to hide. I have met many of you, and I'm sure you have all checked me out through social media and local stories, I don't mind that, I threw myself to the Lions so to speak, I can't change my history but I have broken cycles (not Michaels chained up) but most of all I have learned, and my favourite subject is reading/trying to understand Human Nature, and I'm good at it.

If I'm not good enough to Admin the site here's a job for any taker out there, and I mean it, because I do not want to be seen as some kind of dictator here anymore. (Whispers)

Requirements:
A local from Dun Laoghaire or knowledgeable of the area. (Essential) Age irrelevant.
Must have a basic knowledge in HTML at least.
Full Knowledge of PHPBB coding preferable.
No idea about Politics preferable.
Finding a balance, Essential.

Apply underarm.

bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Post by bugrock » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:06 am

At no point have I labelled political posts as offensive. I have only tried to point out that I am not literate enough to follow all the posts. When the same type of posts enter a few different topics it's then I think they should have their own topic.
I make no apologies for my lack of eloquent verbalisation - I am who I am - and love to post about various subjects and topics.
With the political( with which I'm cool) links and discussions on different topics, from which would you have me unsubscribe.
By the way, I have nothing but admiration for Strum who does a fantastic job keeping it all together. But at the same time I miss the posts from the likes of Gulliver, Jordo, Jaytee etc.
I have no intention of quitting this site either. It's still the best and most honest way to talk to the friends I don't know.
I too have used the word legalese, probably the wrong way way. Sorry GT. But a CBS education only goes so far - but I can tell you a lot about the saints and hell and damnation instead. :lol:
Finally - I have no complaint about Strum. In fact I hope one day to shake his hand!
Beam me up, Dancer!

If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:42 am

bugrock wrote:At no point have I labelled political posts as offensive. I have only tried to point out that I am not literate enough to follow all the posts. When the same type of posts enter a few different topics it's then I think they should have their own topic.
I make no apologies for my lack of eloquent verbalisation - I am who I am - and love to post about various subjects and topics.
With the political( with which I'm cool) links and discussions on different topics, from which would you have me unsubscribe.
By the way, I have nothing but admiration for Strum who does a fantastic job keeping it all together. But at the same time I miss the posts from the likes of Gulliver, Jordo, Jaytee etc.
I have no intention of quitting this site either. It's still the best and most honest way to talk to the friends I don't know.
I too have used the word legalese, probably the wrong way way. Sorry GT. But a CBS education only goes so far - but I can tell you a lot about the saints and hell and damnation instead. :lol:
Finally - I have no complaint about Strum. In fact I hope one day to shake his hand!
Beam me up, Dancer!
There you go Bugs ...... thats as eliquent a verbalisation as anything on here !!!! and thats what I find frustrating, you seem to do yourself a disservice on the education front. I left school at 14 and have never considered my lack of further education a cross to bear. I always look upon something I dont understand as an opportunity to decide if I want to learn more about it or just let it slide. In my opinion, education and intelligence are two different areas ..... you can read all the books, learn all the words but still have no idea how to solve a problem. I admire anyone who has had the good fortune to have had a very good education, it puts you at an advantage in terms of what you can verbalise and the knowledge base you have. The ability to learn and recall information is a great asset, but the ability to think around problems and figure things out for yourself is greater in my opinion.... have both and you are laughing :lol:

As for the people who seem to have stopped posting, there could be any number of reasons (personal or circumstantial) and its really up to them to decide if they want to post or share on here ...... its an open enough forum and people will come and go as happens with most internet chat sites.

grammer
The Spoon

Post by grammer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:50 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ahh the site is alive and well. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now where did I put that pot and spoon. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers

Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Post by Dancer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:18 pm

grammer wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ahh the site is alive and well. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now where did I put that pot and spoon. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think I heard someone shouting ..."shove them up your ar$e !" but that's not very PC :lol: :lol:

xx Dancer xx

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Bernard M. Baruch

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Dancer wrote:I think I heard someone shouting ..."shove them up your ar$e !" but that's not very PC :lol: :lol:
Jeez I knew I was loud, but Howtth ??? ..... oh hang on ..... I forgot about the size of your ears* :P

*thats what happens when you put up arse waving elephants

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:27 pm

Ha, how slow am I...I am only noticing now that this is a Politics section ..

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Post by keeper » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:57 pm

Just to let yiz all know :P I love this site, it has cheered me up, made me laugh, educated me, annoyed me but most of all makes me feel I have a host of friends I would never have had without it, I have mentioned many times my admiration for Strum who has great patience with us all !! Let us not forget we are contributing to a site laden with history, photos and different views and opinions on affairs that affect everyone of us living our daily lives, it will be a fascinating account of our times for future generations. Just imagine if our elders had something like this and we could read their first hand accounts of their daily lives, I know a lot did through their writings, but the instant communications available to us today is mind blowing.
Please Strum keep up your sterling work and again thank you all contributing, yiz are brill thumbright thumbright
Oops sorry Grammer :roll: a leftie, just for you thumleft thumleft

slipper
Advanced Member

Post by slipper » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:07 pm

Brilliant posts Keeper,Toss et al ! Yis took the words right out of my mouth i.e.everything I like and feel about this site.
I also left CBS Eblana at 14 yrs old and have never came across a post here that I had any difficulty understanding and when I come across something that I don't like or disagree with I simply comment or ignore same. Bugs when he chooses to be can be very eloquent and literary and as we are all well aware Grammer can stir with the best of them,so I think we're being wound up slightly. But what the hell it started a great exchange and distracted us from the more serious issues that face us daily so :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Strum! Don't even think about it,we'd all be lost!!

Navanman

Post by Navanman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:22 pm

I second everything you are all saying.

Brilliant site.

NM

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:38 pm

Toss wrote: I left school at 14
Na ne nah Toss I have a year on you. :-P :lol:

I always look upon something I dont understand as an opportunity to decide if I want to learn more about it or just let it slide. In my opinion, education and intelligence are two different areas ..... you can read all the books, learn all the words but still have no idea how to solve a problem. I admire anyone who has had the good fortune to have had a very good education, it puts you at an advantage in terms of what you can verbalise and the knowledge base you have. The ability to learn and recall information is a great asset, but the ability to think around problems and figure things out for yourself is greater in my opinion.... have both and you are laughing :lol:

And as you usual you took the words right out of my mouth, Meatloaf.
Education is maybe essential, at least basic Math and English, which I was useless at, and some practical subject, which I was good at, but education isn't intelligence, I think intelligence is innate and I certainly don't really believe in that "give me the child and I'll make the man" nonsense, did beating the crap out of them make them cleverer? That kind of treatment merely turns people into insecure rebels.
As defined in the dictionary, Intelligence: The capacity to work out problems.
We all know stuff others don't, and they in return, my kids now know wayyyy more than me in School subjects and I'm asking THEM about things. It's all about sharing and sharing is caring. dnc1

A lot of people with little schooling are some of the greatest geniuses in History.

grammer
The Spoon

Post by grammer » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:12 am

I think life is the great educator-
While education is essential to children-
A good school teacher makes all the difference whether a child progresses or not-
Help at home is essential-
I reckon there is too much pressure put on come exam time
I think from next year that all changes to a step by step system--
Many's the night I spent at home pouring over the likes of 1/8 x1/5x1/3 etc
or even worse The dreaded Algebra-
x+y X x+y= then it gets worse nightmare stuff BangHead BangHead BangHead BangHead BangHead

Now wheres me apples and me oranges
X=apple Y= pear
so apple +pear multiplied by apple +pear equals=
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:51 am

"Lets work this out scienticically",says he.
"Take the coal out of the bath", says he . . .

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:23 am

Micheál wrote:"Lets work this out scienticically",says he.
"Take the coal out of the bath", says he . . .
I love Maureen Potter and Christy doing that one...God, you bring me back. :lol: :lol:

William Allen White

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:21 pm

Some of you got a pension for being at school!

Sinéad

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:15 pm

Sinead wrote:Some of you got a pension for being at school!

Sinéad

:?: Doesn't everybody get a pension whether they've ever worked or not? The dole is a pension for some for life. I met an individual who is 37 and recently got his first job ever out of necessity because the dole were cutting him off, fksnakes, I just cannot imagine at that age having NEVER been employed before. :?
A friend did 9 years in the Air Corps after School, left at 28 and got a pension for life. And then some of our most so-called trusted individuals in suits BS other peoole every day and steal from them and get the biggest pensions than anywhere else on the Planet.
If I were to go back again I would have chosen Politics or Law where you learn to control your Brandy intake at lunchtime and not fall asleep in the oireachtas. :mrgreen:

grammer
The Spoon

Post by grammer » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:57 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Yep will agree or even better become a teacher first -then a politician
get two pensions
or even better become a teacher first-then a politician second a minister third
get three pensions
or even better -jaaajjjjjjjjjjjjjjaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzz
Become a teacher first >pension
a politician second >>>>>pension
A minister third >>>>>>>>pension
then become a MEP>>>>>lump sum=equal pension
Sit on a load of boards --get loads of money
Ahhhh holy muddah of...................
I cant go on with this
Ahhh well it's only money and money cant buy you happiness contentment etc.
Or so they say.

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:54 pm

The era of multiple pensions is over - at least the Government said
it was ceasing the practice. You can no longer get long term leave
of absence as a teacher to become a TD. However, you could suffer
from bad eye sight and go on disability (as a teacher, civil servant etc.)
and be an elected representative, thus accruing more pension rights!
There are always ways and means.

Sinéad

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:34 pm

I must say that again I reiterate that I enjoy reading and contributing to the debate in various topics in this online blog.From what I have read I think that Strum has a very difficult job weeding out the problematic views aired in this public forum.Overall the main problems may arise from unsubstantiated comment which could be libelous or defammatory.This is very difficult to regulate as it conflicts with the freedom of expression.I don't envy your task Strum but I complement you for your stance and endeavours, in providing this forum. :D

zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.

Navanman

Post by Navanman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:12 am

Gingertom
I agree with you, but if you think this forum is bad some of the accusations and comments on facebook are definately "across the line"

NM

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:35 am

Navanman wrote:Gingertom
I agree with you, but if you think this forum is bad some of the accusations and comments on facebook are definately "across the line"

NM
Yes this problem applies to all public social media.Self regulation by the website is key to avoid defamatory comments from being aired or anything that might prejudice current legal proceedings.Sites/blogs should be mindful of this.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:47 am

I for one don't air problematic views. I air my views. Other people might have a problem with them.The one great advantage I have found living in Ireland is that I have freedom of expression. Travelling in Asia and Europe I have met people of all generations who have lived under the most repressive regimes and lived in fear of their lives for opening their mouths. Lord spare us that ever the irish should be beaten down or lose their freedom of speech.

William Allen White

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Rocker wrote:I for one don't air problematic views. I air my views. Other people might have a problem with them.The one great advantage I have found living in Ireland is that I have freedom of expression. Travelling in Asia and Europe I have met people of all generations who have lived under the most repressive regimes and lived in fear of their lives for opening their mouths. Lord spare us that ever the irish should be beaten down or lose their freedom of speech.
Agreed.