Buses

gingertom
Advanced Member

Re: Buses

Post by gingertom » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:38 pm

Rocker wrote:Go ahead bus company won a tender to operate the routes,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consume ... -1.3182858

Competition is the thing. Dublin bus will have to step up to the plate and maybe operate on time. The lack lustre attitude, I'm listening to my radio, I'm not pulling into the pavement for you auld wans...go on jump off!, sorry missus ..only one buggy allowed...there will be another bus in an hour!, I'm on my break and you can stand in the rain for 10 minutes approach MIGHT become a thing of the past!!! somehow I doubt it.
Competition is most certainly part of the issue. The European Union is in favour of the diminution of state monopolies but in line with due regard to each members states own situation, as determined by the local National Parliament, the Dáil in our case, with concurrent European Court of Justice case law fluidic wriggle-room ability is afforded to all member states to legislate out of European Rules and this is known as a "margin of appreciation"..... (the M.O.E). Competition is generally driver of business creativity, but we must make sure that our state assets are not taken over unfairly..........Cue Toss.... ;) . hellllo

zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:36 pm

I defy anyone to stand outside Loughlinstown or Vincents and witness droves of elderly, infirm, pregnant or young mothers with kids streaming off the buses from the current network. The vast majority arrive by private car
(or ambulance)

M.

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 am

Micheál wrote:I defy anyone to stand outside Loughlinstown or Vincents and witness droves of elderly, infirm, pregnant or young mothers with kids streaming off the buses from the current network. The vast majority arrive by private car
(or ambulance)

M.
Well God help us all if our leaders have a similar attitude right wing attitude like yours. I cannot wait for local elections to happen.The point is simple, this is a retrograde step in terms of public service transportation for all who have now to catch their bus from a different and somewhat distant location. The direct bus link from Sallynoggin and Ballybrack to Dublin city is to be stopped with this change.There are 'droves' outside stops beside Sallynoggin Senior College in the late afternoon and at the stop beside Power City in the morning. Yes costs are important but this change is only negative.

zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.

bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Post by bugrock » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:56 am

I last saw my mother at that hospital, lying in a corridor, after I had gotten a bus and a train, I didn't have a car, or know anyone who did, and I couldn't afford a taxi!
I don't think for one minute that I'm alone in that situation. To think only the aged and infirm are the only one who attend hospitals is a little misguided.

If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:24 pm

bugrock wrote:I last saw my mother at that hospital, lying in a corridor, after I had gotten a bus and a train, I didn't have a car, or know anyone who did, and I couldn't afford a taxi!
I don't think for one minute that I'm alone in that situation. To think only the aged and infirm are the only one who attend hospitals is a little misguided.
Sad time Bugs scry I last saw my mother laid out in that morgue. She never wanted to go to that hospital as she had visited her dead mother there but that was where the ambulance took her on the day!

A lot of us have been lucky enough now to have a car and still be able to drive but I know loads of people who do not have access to any vehicle nor access to anyone with a car and they are on foot or on a bus.

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:56 pm

gingertom wrote:.The point is simple, this is a retrograde step in terms of public service transportation for all who have now to catch their bus from a different and somewhat distant location. The direct bus link from Sallynoggin and Ballybrack to Dublin city is to be stopped with this change.There are 'droves' outside stops beside Sallynoggin Senior College in the late afternoon and at the stop beside Power City in the morning. Yes costs are important but this change is only negative.
wuu wuu

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Micheál wrote:-

"I defy anyone to stand outside Loughlinstown or Vincents and witness droves of elderly, infirm, pregnant or young mothers with kids streaming off the buses from the current network. The vast majority arrive by private car
(or ambulance)"

Regularly I use public transport to get from Ballybrack to - St. Vincent's - City Centre. Believe me Micheál I often see those whom you describe using the service. The bus can only take 1 pushchair, if there is then a wheelchair user the pushchair must be folded, tough if another wheelchair user wants to access the bus there is no room. Using the service to go into the city centre between 5p.m. and 6.30.p.m. it is not unusual for the bus not to pick up passengers beyond Merrion Gates because it is full, no room then for the very young or disabled.
Public Service to St. Columcille's is very infrequent, and I am unable to comment on that as I have never used it.

Sinéad

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:31 am

The buses are a public service, they are paid for by all of us and should not be compared to taxis or any other private enterprise. If they run half empty or empty on occasions, so what ..... they should be there running and fit for purpose. The trend for closing routes and changing numbers is down to the bean counters saying that such and such a route is too costly, well so what ? the real agenda is to try and get you to use a taxi where you basically pay more tax. Its the same scam they use in the health system .... 'oh you need a scan, well you can wait six months or go to the private clinic and get one in a few days'.

I for one, would be more than happy to see my taxes being spent on a bus service that is run properly for the people that need it most and not run to justify the existence of some administrator in an office or some Minister who has no idea what its like to miss a bus as his driver is always at the ready.

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:04 pm

We were having a chat with a neighbour last night and the subject of the Rehabilitation Hospital came up. They are doing amazing building works on the site and I don't know just exactly where the new entrance will be ( Rochestown or Pottery Road) but one way or the other bus service is going to have to be improved. !! As far as I can see people coming from the country have to get a train to Heuston, a luas to city centre, a DART to DunLaoghaire and a 45A to Rochestown ?Ave. Maybe they will think of a shuttle bus from the hospital to D/L Station??

William Allen White

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:17 pm

Rocker wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:04 pm
Maybe they will think of a shuttle bus from the hospital to D/L Station??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You could never do anything like this before on the site. You can listen to the entire album.

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Rocker:

A feeder bus from the Bray road would be the thing. The 145 travels that road and the terminus is Heuston Station.

Sinéad

bugrock

Post by bugrock » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 am

Love the music, Strum. Would love to get permission to perform that song at our local Irish pub "The Dubliner".

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:16 am

bugrock wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 am
Love the music, Strum. Would love to get permission to perform that song at our local Irish pub "The Dubliner".
I doubt Will would have a problem with that Bugs. Look him up on farcespace, William
Byrne. ;) thumbright

bugrock

Post by bugrock » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 am

Ta 8-)

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 am

bugrock wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 am
Ta 8-)

Brilliant collection of songs on that site. What a voice. ;)

bugrock

Post by bugrock » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:03 am

He does it for me. New age Irish!

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:13 am

William is your only man. Good luck with the songs Bugs. They bring a tear to my eye.
Great recording of the songs Strum!

William Allen White

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:40 pm

Rocker wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:13 am
Great recording of the songs Strum!

Thanks Rocker, the hall in the DCI has/had amazing acoustics for live recording. One day we planned to record 8 tracks I think, we met at 2pm and ended up recording 63 songs until 1am, couldn't stop him, he was on a roll haha. :D

I used one of these, a Boss micro BR, Grammer had an older model too. It's a fully functional recording studio a little bit bigger than a Sony Walkman, even smaller than that image below.
Well worth investing in for live recording Bugs. You can plug an electric guitar and mic into it too.

bugrock

Post by bugrock » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 am

Great idea! I play bass, so might blow it up. Why don't we ship this subject to music?

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:18 am

bugrock wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 am
Great idea! I play bass, so might blow it up.
It won't blow it up hahaha, these are incredible little recorders Bugs, you can get one for about 80 quid now, excellent for live recording with those condenser mics. ;)

Why don't we ship this subject to music?

Because the sounds of the wheels of the buses go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wipers on the bus go... :lol:

bugrock

Post by bugrock » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:40 am

OK, Strum, I get it. I might just look at one of those Bosses. Wish I hadn't sold my PA gear scry scry scry