Dun laoghaire Historical Society

Activities, Festivals, Exhibitions etc...
Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: Dun laoghaire Historical Society

Post by Rocker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:47 pm

That sounds great Gulliver. Hope we can make it.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

grammer
The Spoon

Post by grammer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:03 pm

Looks good sounds good
well done Gull. another full house on the cards I'd say.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:36 am

Big crowd anticipated Gulliver. You might need to move to new Library!

grammer
The Spoon

Post by grammer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:45 am

Micheál wrote:Big crowd anticipated Gulliver. You might need to move to new Library!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:48 am

grammer wrote:
Micheál wrote:Big crowd anticipated Gulliver. You might need to move to new Library!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh if only, I feel it in my waters that when this is built the use will alter and it will not be the public space we are all awaiting. I'm a born sceptic!
William Allen White

Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Post by Holla » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:33 am

Historical Walk of Northhumberland Avenue and Corrig Park

a joycean connection, a retired officer who fought with Wellington,a first world war military hospital,
plus three church's on one avenue
Meet at 7pm beside Dunnes stores Northumberland Ave (free event) Guided by Colin Scudds.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:08 am

Had a look at their website Holla. Very interesting.

Might just go on that walk on Wednesday 11 June

http://www.dunlaoghairehistorical.com/lectures.html
William Allen White

skins
Executive Member

Post by skins » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Oh if only, I feel it in my waters that when this is built the use will alter and it will not be the public space we are all awaiting. I'm a born sceptic![/quote]

And when you die, Rocker, they'll probably bury you in a "sceptic tank".
Skins

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:44 pm

The horror of the septic tank story is too sad to contemplate. i watched in horror over the years at old newsreels of the concentration camp atrocities and how humans were treated....all the time naievely thinking those things happen so far from little holy catholic Ireland...man's inhumanity to man....in Ireland people in positions of trust, in homes supported by the Government funds were discarding precious remains in a septic tank..is there no end to what will be uncovered????
William Allen White

spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Post by spudseamus » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:52 am

Rocker wrote:The horror of the septic tank story is too sad to contemplate. i watched in horror over the years at old newsreels of the concentration camp atrocities and how humans were treated....all the time naievely thinking those things happen so far from little holy catholic Ireland...man's inhumanity to man....in Ireland people in positions of trust, in homes supported by the Government funds were discarding precious remains in a septic tank..is there no end to what will be uncovered????

Amen !

Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Post by Gulliver » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Don't forget that there was a magdalen-type home in Dun Laoghaire, as well as a number of orphanages
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:30 pm

I hadn't know of the Magdalene Laundry in DunLaoghaire but, found this on Google today...

Mercy Sisters
Ran Magdalene Laundries in Galway and DunLaoghaire (and one in Tralee that closed approx 1907-8)
and industrial schools at Athlone, Goldenbridge, Tralee, Booterstown, Templemore, Galway (Renmore &
Ballinasloe), Loughrea, Birr, Clare, Cobh, Clifden, Clonakilty, Cappoquin, Dundalk, Killarney, Kinsale,
Mallow, Moate, Summerhill, Rathdrum, Newtownforbes, Westport, Wexford and Limerick.

Mercy Congregational Archives
Catherine McAuley Centre
23 Herbert Street
Dublin 2

Tel: 01-6387521

Mercy Sisters
14 Walnut Avenue
Courtlands
Drumcondra
Dublin 9

Tel: 01-8377602
Fax: 01-8570684
William Allen White

Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Post by Gulliver » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:21 pm

There was also an earlier laundry/refuge in Northcote Ave... closed in the 1930s I think
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)

Holla

Post by Holla » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:04 pm

Dun Laoghaire Borough Historical Society

Illustrated Lecture

A JOURNEY THROUGH THE STREETS OF THE TOWN
1960 TO THE PRESENT.

by Colin Scudds

Royal Marine Hotel 8pm Wed 16th March.

Holla

Post by Holla » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:12 pm

Holla wrote:Dun Laoghaire Borough Historical Society

Illustrated Lecture

A JOURNEY THROUGH THE STREETS OF THE TOWN
1960 TO THE PRESENT.

by Colin Scudds

Royal Marine Hotel 8pm Wed 16th March.

I attended this last night it was very good with a good few photos I haven't seen before, some good shots of inside the old Pawn office showing the old range in the basement, old gaslights and a mention of some items that were pawned in the 1940s there were fifteen employed in the office once ,also a photo of the old "destructor "the incinerator in the old corpo yard near Kelly ave,good photos of Paddy Doyles cross ave,Taggartsand Comiskeys shoe repairs Patrick street and of course Power brothers Mulgrave street.A good photo of a shop called Higgins near the Vets on Patrick street they bottled their own beer a few memory joggers the Air Lingus shop ,Liptons,Burtons,Murdochs,H Williams,the Gas company,Roma Café,Cooneys pub,Mc Governs fruit n veg store.old cab mans hut marine road the 1988" Tour de Ireland "cycle race going down Georges street all with plenty of titbits and interaction from the audience a full house and a few of our members from here made the guest appearance.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:39 pm

Wish I could have got to that Holla. Sounds great. I used to think I'd have my life better organised when i retired....no such luck....headless chicken has nothing on me.
William Allen White

Holla

Post by Holla » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:16 pm

Rocker wrote:Wish I could have got to that Holla. Sounds great. I used to think I'd have my life better organised when i retired....no such luck....headless chicken has nothing on me.
Sure your always on the go Rocker but fair play you always find the time to reply to others posts. an enjoyable talk.

Holla

Post by Holla » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:17 pm

For anyone interested Dun laoghaire historical society journal no28 is in the shop's seven euro's for this "Great little book "☺
Inside you can read about Downeys pub strike, the kish lighthouse, Dun laoghaire baths,Glasthule church,Armistice day kingstown 1918, disappearing DUN laoghaire, and more I got my copy in dubray books I think Eason stock it too enjoy.

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Went to Easons to-day, at noon, to get this Book, they only had 3 left so I asked could I buy one and leave it with them until
later in the day, because of the weather. Thank God I did this, the other 2 were sold when I got back there at
about 4.30.p.m.

Sinéad

Holla

Post by Holla » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Sinead wrote:Went to Easons to-day, at noon, to get this Book, they only had 3 left so I asked could I buy one and leave it with them until
later in the day, because of the weather. Thank God I did this, the other 2 were sold when I got back there at
about 4.30.p.m.

Sinéad
I hope you enjoy the book it a great stocking filler I'm not surprised they sell very fast I buy a copy for myself an 98year oil aunt in London and an 86years old uncle in monkstown both ex glasthulers who get great pleasure going down memory lane with the content of these little jems.

Holla

Post by Holla » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Holla wrote:
Sinead wrote:Went to Easons to-day, at noon, to get this Book, they only had 3 left so I asked could I buy one and leave it with them until
about 4.30.p.m.

Sinéad
I hope you enjoy the book it a great stocking filler I'm not surprised they sell very fast I buy a copy for myself an 98year old aunt in London and an 86years old uncle in monkstown both ex glasthulers who get great pleasure going down memory lane with the content of these little jems.

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Holla, it is a great read as always.

Sinéad

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Holla wrote:
Holla wrote:
I attended this last night it was very good with a good few photos I haven't seen before, some good shots of inside the old Pawn office showing the old range in the basement, old gaslights and a mention of some items that were pawned in the 1940s there were fifteen employed in the office once ,also a photo of the old "destructor "the incinerator in the old corpo yard near Kelly ave,good photos of Paddy Doyles cross ave,Taggartsand Comiskeys shoe repairs Patrick street and of course Power brothers Mulgrave street.A good photo of a shop called Higgins near the Vets on Patrick street they bottled their own beer a few memory joggers the Air Lingus shop ,Liptons,Burtons,Murdochs,H Williams,the Gas company,Roma Café,Cooneys pub,Mc Governs fruit n veg store.old cab mans hut marine road the 1988" Tour de Ireland "cycle race going down Georges street all with plenty of titbits and interaction from the audience a full house and a few of our members from here made the guest appearance.
I'm laid up with the "heavy cold" scry didn't have my Liberty bodice on or my Red Flannel on me chest !! :lol: so I'm reading some old posts. It makes me feel rather sad when I think that all my family in the 30's and 40's were pawning stuff to get them through the tough times. How I would hate to be living like that now! I have seen the "destructor" on old maps. My mother's family lived around there in the early 1900's it must have been so smelly with fires going all the time. We are so lucky to have had the bit of education and the bits of jobs over the years to improve our lot.
William Allen White

Holla

Post by Holla » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:05 pm

Rocker you need your friars balson well I think that's what it was called I remember seeing it in my grannys bedroom in what resembled a Jeanie bottle.hope you're on the mend

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:06 am

Holla wrote:Rocker you need your friars balson well I think that's what it was called I remember seeing it in my grannys bedroom in what resembled a Jeanie bottle.hope you're on the mend
:lol: :lol: Strum will kill us for posting off topic but we could say the lotions and liniments are part of our history, When we were children we used to put Friar's Balsam in a bowl of boiling water, put a towel over our head and inhale the vapour...kill or cure. We also had Brewers Yeast taken every day and a spoon of Cod Liver Oil...not to mention the Beecham Pills for the other end!In between times we got Vicks rubbed on the chest and back, dandeloin drinks and nettle soup all said to improve the immune system...no doctors needed in our house :lol: :lol: :lol:
William Allen White