Famous Crime in Dun Laoghaire

Past and Present
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Famous Crime in Dun Laoghaire

Post by Micheál » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:17 am

I wasn't really sure where to put this. Maybe there's a case for a new topic for this and other stories of note. But for starters - here's a really weird one from September 1933

Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: Famous Crime in Dun Laoghaire

Post by Rocker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:47 am

I wonder if these people are still alive now.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:03 pm

The child might be alive but the others involved, if alive, would be very old. Where is/was Tivoli Place?

Sinbad

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:14 am

There were several developments

A nurse who unwittingly cared for the child (on behalf of the kidnapper) was subsequently charged - but later discharged. The judge said all she was guilty of was caring for the child.

The Grandmother who was with the child when he was taken and the mother, who both were staying in Monkstown House, were invited to leave (with the help of a court order)

They turned up in Manchester in the (swanky) Midland Hotel

Before all this one of these ladies used to broadcast regularly on BBC NI and RTE about "Women of Abyssinia"

M.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:35 am

Micheál wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:14 am
There were several developments

A nurse who unwittingly cared for the child (on behalf of the kidnapper) was subsequently charged - but later discharged. The judge said all she was guilty of was caring for the child.

The Grandmother who was with the child when he was taken and the mother, who both were staying in Monkstown House, were invited to leave (with the help of a court order)

They turned up in Manchester in the (swanky) Midland Hotel

Before all this one of these ladies used to broadcast regularly on BBC NI and RTE about "Women of Abyssinia"

M.
Thank you Micheál for the update. I often read old reports and am left wondering at the outcome of events. Abyssinia has always intrigued me and I can't imagine some Abyssinians living in Monkstown!!..they must have appeared very exotic at the time!

Here is a bit about it from google"The Ethiopian Empire (Amharic: የኢትዮጵያ ንጉሠ ነገሥት መንግሥተ, Mängəstä Ityop'p'ya), also known as Abyssinia (derived from the Arabic al-Habash),[10] was a kingdom that spanned a geographical area in the current states of Eritrea and Ethiopia. It began with the establishment of the Solomonic dynasty from approximately 1270 and lasted until 1974, when the ruling Solomonic dynasty was overthrown in a coup d'état by the Derg."

My friend is in Ethopia at the moment and is seeing incredible sites.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White