The Workhouse, Loughlinstown

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...
Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: The Workhouse, Loughlinstown

Post by Rocker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:25 am

I'm back researching our family in the Workhouse so I have brought this topic up again. Is anyone else checking the records? Have you found any cheerful facts about the grim place?

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Post by Holla » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:23 am

Hi rocker, a few years ago I did a little research on a relative who spent a short spell in the workhouse, I joined the national archives and got the regesters for the year of her death 1902 I back tracked the pages and got her date of her admission and reason for admission states the word sick beside her name address and marital status .

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:37 am

Holla wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:23 am
Hi rocker, a few years ago I did a little research on a relative who spent a short spell in the workhouse, I joined the national archives and got the regesters for the year of her death 1902 I back tracked the pages and got her date of her admission and reason for admission states the word sick beside her name address and marital status .
That is comforting Holla. At least in the 1900's it must have been a hospital as well as a workhouse. I must get some of those registers. I went one day to the place opposite Glasnevin cemetery and they give free access to Ancestry but what I would really like is the registers. My gt gt grandmother appeared in Loughlinstown in the 1860's but she only had three of her six children. If I had the registers I could see if maybe the other children were admitted later or under the incorrect name. They were really on their uppers dirty and starving having walked from Glendalough. I don't know how long the trip took and I only hope three children did not die on the way. They were the courageous ones who paved the way for my good life.

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:25 pm

The caretaker in the Workhouse Loughlinstown was a man by the name of Owens. The caretaker in the Clinic in Patrick Street Dun Laoghaire had the same name, I often wondered if they were related.

Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Post by Denis Cromie » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:57 pm

I wouldn't know if they are related but I remember me Mother mentioning a Mr. Owens in the clinic. Everyman was a mister to me Mother.