Nutrition Tips - Alternatives for good health

Courses, Learning, Schools, Colleges and Life.
grammer
The Spoon

Re: Nutrition Tips - Alternatives for good health

Post by grammer » Sun May 03, 2015 9:26 pm

sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'd forgotten those ads grammer... wuu wuu

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

grammer
The Spoon

Post by grammer » Tue May 05, 2015 9:59 pm

(Shel Silverstein)

I was waitin' in Rosie's Restaurant
When the waiter came up and said what do you want
I looked at the menu and it looked so nice
Till he said lemme give you some advice.

He said spaghetti and potatoes got too much starch
Pork chops and sausage are bad for your heart
There's hormones in chicken and beef and veal
Bowl of ravioli is a dead man's meal.

Bread got preservatives there's nitrites in ham
Artificial coloring in jellies and jam
Stay away from donuts run away from pie
Pepperoni pizza is a sure way to die.

Sugar rots your teeth and makes you put on weight
But artificial sweetener's got cyclamates
Eggs got cholesterol, there's fat in cheese
Coffee ruins your kidneys and so does tea.

Fish got mercury, red meat is poison
Salt's gonna send your blood pressure risin'
Hot dogs and bologna got deadly red dyes
Vegetables and fruits are sprayed with pesticides.

--- Instrumental ---

So I said what can I eat that's gonna make me last
He said a small drink of water in a sterilized glass
And then he stopped and he thought for a minute
And said never mind the water, there's carcinogenics in it.

So I got up from the table and walked out in the street
Realizin' there was nothin' I could eat
I ain't eaten for a month and I'm feeling fine

'Cause he did not mention beer, whiskey, women and sweet red wine...

sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Wed May 06, 2015 9:31 pm

Didn't know where to put this but it kind of relates to the "business" of illigal activity going on in this world while the very ones who come up with these theories like "Drug wars" "Anti-terrorism" etc are the very ones who create it and then turn a blind eye to it because it all about....MONEY!
Anyway I just finished a novel loosly based around the Human trafficing business and the appendix tells us some facts about it. The "industry" alone has a turnover of multi billions every year. The statistics are horrific, I seriously didn't realise the extent of it.
You can sell a 14 year old child, boy or girl for up to 100.000 and 40,000 - 60 grand for a child up to eighteen years of age, anywhere if you have the contacts. This is why so many children go missing and are never found. When they have fulfilled their "use" they are killed and buried never to be seen or heard of again.
Hence all these snatchings or attempted snatchings we hear about here. They are not necessarily peados or rapists they are being snatched to be sold to eastern europe and Russia.
As it mentioned, look at it like this. A gram of cocaine or heroin can only be sold once. A human being can generate income for years. A global report stated that one third of all trafficking victims are children, two thirds of them girls.
I could go on but I'm truly sickened by this.
So difficult to keep your kids close and I'm freaked out about my 17 year old daughter going to the south of France in August with eight school friends. There will be a parent of one of the kids at their destination but still, she won't be able to keep an eye on them all the time either will she?
Makes me shudder. So many sick fkrs on this planet. :twisted:

Seeing the film "Taken" doesn't help any.

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Wed May 06, 2015 10:10 pm

Strum:

You should read about Christina Noble and the work she has done to
protect children.
Slavery was officially abolished years ago but in essence it still goes
on.

Sinead

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Wed May 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Sinead wrote:Strum:

You should read about Christina Noble and the work she has done to
protect children.
Slavery was officially abolished years ago but in essence it still goes
on.

Sinead

It's getting worse Sinead. 100.000 grand for a kid is a very good incentive. :cry:

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Thu May 07, 2015 12:39 am

There are a lot of sickos out there in the shadowy underworld and it is sickening.As you say it is filthy money that drives the business. When we were children my mother preached to us morning noon and night about "the white slave trade" and we used to think she went on a bit too much. But, the lectures stood us in good stead and many a tight spot I got out of over the years by trusting my instincts and remembering the "white slave" warning.

Don't worry too much about your daughter in the south of France. She will be fine if you insist that she stick with the group and never split...great safety in numbers.With mobile phones nowadays they also have someone to contact. Travel is the best thing since fried bread.

William Allen White

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Thu May 07, 2015 1:06 am

Rocker wrote:Don't worry too much about your daughter in the south of France. She will be fine if you insist that she stick with the group and never split...great safety in numbers.With mobile phones nowadays they also have someone to contact. Travel is the best thing since fried bread.
Thanks Rocker, they're very sensible kids but still, very young the girls. Can't help worrying can I, and I don't have all the skills Liam Neeson has. :D

Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Post by Denis Cromie » Thu May 07, 2015 10:38 am

It's every parents dilemma on one hand we want them to experience the world on the other we want to protect them from the evil that is out there.I remember when our eldest daughter went to London to work we were very concerned but she enjoyed it and although she returned to settle down here she still values her London experience. Our youngest went to South Korea to teach English for 18months and again we were worried but she loved the experience and she is now back and has a good job here. All parents can do is advise about the pitfalls that are out there, after that, you just have to trust their judgement.

Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Post by Dancer » Thu May 07, 2015 9:48 pm

Strum........STOP reading all those articles and books. Put your big strong arms around your daughter and hug her tight
and tell her how much she means to you and how much you love her. Tell her how deeply it would break your heart if anything
ever happened to her and simply ask her to stay safe. I've found that that approach actually works and the hug you get back - precious!! dnc2

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Thu May 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Dancer wrote:Strum........STOP reading all those articles and books. Put your big strong arms around your daughter and hug her tight
and tell her how much she means to you and how much you love her. Tell her how deeply it would break your heart if anything
ever happened to her and simply ask her to stay safe. I've found that that approach actually works and the hug you get back - precious!! dnc2

Thank you Dancer and Denis I know. It'll never help you stop worrying though will it? :)

STOP reading all those articles and books.

It's reality. :|

grammer
The Spoon

Post by grammer » Fri May 29, 2015 8:56 pm

Another use for a carrot. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

grammer
The Spoon

Post by grammer » Fri May 29, 2015 9:02 pm

Why not make a stew????

Dancer

Post by Dancer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:18 am

If you want to maintain your good health and wellbeing then may I suggest that you give The Forty Foot ie
Wetherspoons a very wide berth. I found myself in there last Friday , having tried unsuccessfully to get into
The Henhouse to grab a bite to eat and shelter from the hailstones. We ordered the fish & chips with mushy
peas and tartare sauce and a drink . You pay in advance and take your seat. That in itself should have been
a warning but anyway, I sipped on my beer and eagerly awaited my plate of tasty food and
was delighted if not a little surprised to see a chap coming towards me no less than five minutes after I had
placed the order and he was bearing two plates of food . Now I will admit that I am a fussy eater but Only insofar
as, I expect when I eat out that the food will be the same or indeed better than what I would prepare at home.
I don't think that is unreasonable. What arrived on my plate was a piece of fish in batter that was so dried out , it had actually curled up. The chips were a mixture of ones cooked earlier and ones cooked earlier again. The mushy
peas were ok but the worst bit was the tartare sauce; it was a gelatinous almost grey colour and I don't even want
to hazard a guess at what was in it but it sure as hell wasn't meant for human consumption. I take it that Wetherspoons
is really all about selling cheap booze and personally I find that disappointing given it's location and proximity to the harbour.
:(

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Sad that you had that experience Dancer. I go to the one in blackrock and am constantly surprised by the decent food. The chef must be better. Did you send it back??

William Allen White

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:50 pm

Dancer wrote: I take it that Wetherspoons is really all about selling cheap booze and personally I find that disappointing given it's location and proximity to the harbour.
:(

Yep. This should be in the moan forum but they also have THE MOST ATROCIOUS SERVICE of anywhere I've been in in years. :evil:

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:08 pm

That was my experience too Strum.

Sat at a dirty table and watched FOUR separate staff pass an adjacent filthy table. each one removed a little bit of rubbish but none of them - not even the fourth - left the table clean. The premises was not busy and staff preferred to huddle and chat in the corner. (Im told its their policy not to hire anyone who worked in the bar trade before)

Our food was what you might expect out of the back of a van at a boot sale. My beer could have been cold tea.

Im hearing the D/L premises is getting quite rough too.

By Contrast, the Blackrock premises is Far better.

M.

Im really frustrated reporting this. Id really like Witherspoons to do well and break up the oligopoly that is the drinks trade here.

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Micheál wrote:
Im hearing the D/L premises is getting quite rough too.

Sorry this is way off topic but yes, a bloke from the club, a very big man I might add, had his arm broken there a month ago on a Saturday night. Last thursday I was there with a mate and two junkies were removed by the cops because they were tring to rob handbags off the floor. That was the 4th time the same "crowd" were thrown out. Crazy.
As for the food I wouldn't go near it, as a past chef and from what I've seen it's all pre-cooked and microwaved.
Overall I think the place is a disgrace for the town and an embarrassment to tourists.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Strum wrote:
Micheál wrote: Im hearing the D/L premises is getting quite rough too.
Sorry this is way off topic but yes, a bloke from the club, a very big man I might add, had his arm broken there a month ago on a Saturday night. Last thursday I was there with a mate and two junkies were removed by the cops because they were tring to rob handbags off the floor. That was the 4th time the same "crowd" were thrown out. Crazy.
As for the food I wouldn't go near it, as a past chef and from what I've seen it's all pre-cooked and microwaved.
Overall I think the place is a disgrace for the town and an embarrassment to tourists.
In all seriousness, what do you expect? its actually doing the 'ducksers' out of business and even the church wall has vacancies :lol:

Basically its the perfect venue for todays 'X factor' generation ... cheap alcohol and fast food. As for staff, there is no training required anymore .... hold a glass under a tap, press the pic of a pint on the till, press €20 paid and the till will tell you how much change to hand back wuu FETAC Level 1 indeed. As for food, well everything is now bought frozen and ready to cook ..... so what used to be laughingly known as TV Dinners is now state of the art catering in far too many hotels, restaurants and pubs (the real skill is transforming fish n chips to whatever bullsh1t spin will allow you charge more on the menu :evil: ).

Wetherspoons is a very popular brittish pub chain, it is what it is and its success cannot be denied.

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Dancer

Post by Dancer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:39 pm

Well I've obviously never been in a Wetherspoons pub in Britain because I would clearly remember
if I'd been served the same muck that passes for food in The forty foot. I can only deduce that they are popular
because the beer is cheap . I can't imagine any sane person going back a second time to sample their food .
Walters served lovely food :(
Rocker wrote: did you send it back?
I didn't send it back because firstly, I had prepaid so no incentive for them to get their money. Secondly, if they couldn't get a simple dish right the first time then I seriously doubt there would have been an improvement in a second offering.

slipper
Advanced Member

Post by slipper » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Precisely Toss! ;) ;) ;)

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:25 pm

Dancer wrote:I didn't send it back because firstly, I had prepaid so no incentive for them to get their money. Secondly, if they couldn't get a simple dish right the first time then I seriously doubt there would have been an improvement in a second offering.

Unfortunately that's why it will continue.

Dancer

Post by Dancer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:41 pm

Strum wrote:
Dancer wrote:I didn't send it back because firstly, I had prepaid so no incentive for them to get their money. Secondly, if they couldn't get a simple dish right the first time then I seriously doubt there would have been an improvement in a second offering.

Unfortunately that's why it will continue.
I did write in big bold letters on my napkin " This is quite possibly the worst meal I have ever been served"
which I then left on top of the plate. I'm not completely stupid :roll:

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:20 pm

Dancer wrote: I did write in big bold letters on my napkin " This is quite possibly the worst meal I have ever been served"
which I then left on top of the plate. I'm not completely stupid :roll:

I'm not suggesting you're stupid in the least Dancer. The Napkin I guess went in the bin. From experience from both sides of a kitchen it is pointless complaining to anybody but the Manager. If people don't moan nothing will change. Saying that, in Wet Her Spoons I doubt it would make the slightest bit of difference because that's the food and that's the way they do it, full stop. It's all about getting that beer out.

I had prepaid so no incentive for them to get their money.
:?: I don't get that? I would have said to THE MANAGER that the drink was fine but I would like my money back for the meal or at least a couple of drinks on the house as a concession, and if you don't then I'm going on the D/L website to moan about it. :D

Actually we're not off topic, I lost a few calories writing that. :lol:

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:39 pm

Dancer wrote: I'm not completely stupid :roll:
ha ha you must be getting close if thats the best you can come up with ..... :twisted:

Next time nip across to Hartleys if its still there ;)

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....