Hillcourt Park, formerly Ardcuaine Estate, Glenageary.

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Re: Hillcourt Park, formerly Ardcuaine Estate, Glenageary.

Post by Sinead » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:16 am

It is true to say, I always knew Michael. My mother bought a lot of her vegetables in New Market and Michael was always there. I knew his mother who was a big time smoker. I knew Jimmy less well as he just passed through the shop on his way to/from school, he never worked in the shop. When Michael married he lived in either Silchester Road or Park, I think he had a daughter.
Last year I met Jimmy's widow in Faro Airport with her daughter and grandchild. Jimmy was a chiropodist with a practise on George's Street in Dun Laoghaire.
Michael was a very nice person, he was as kind to my children as he had been to me as a child.

Sinéad

MikeOC
Stellar Member

Post by MikeOC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Sinead, that’s a lovely thing to read. I never met any of the Barry family other than Anne, who we lost a few years back. My sister would have met them all when she was a small child but most communication was via my Nan writing letters along with the odd phone call. Rosaline is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met.

It’s fair to say that smoking was treated like a religion in my family. They all smoked like chimneys - my Nan lived to 94 and had smoked pretty well every day since she was 12.

Mike

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:28 pm

MikeOC wrote:Sinead, that’s a lovely thing to read. I never met any of the Barry family other than Anne, who we lost a few years back. My sister would have met them all when she was a small child but most communication was via my Nan writing letters along with the odd phone call. Rosaline is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met.

It’s fair to say that smoking was treated like a religion in my family. They all smoked like chimneys - my Nan lived to 94 and had smoked pretty well every day since she was 12.

Mike
Gosh I'm moved reading this and I didn't know any of the people. That is what this site is about. People finding out about their loved ones from people in the community who knew them. The beating heart of the town wuu wuu

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:44 pm

MickOC

Michael Barry employed women in the shop when his mother finally gave up, mind you she would turn up unannounced and give her tuppence worth regularly. Sis Brook, Tess Toner and Dor Cronin are the names I can remember working there. Michael always did the weighing and lifting of potatoes in the inner store room.

Sinéad

MikeOC
Stellar Member

Post by MikeOC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 pm

Sinéad, just struck me that you may have been aware of my Dad, John. He’s about the same age as Jimmy and naturally was around Newmarket quite a bit.

Back in the topic of Coolevin, I’m loosely planning on a trip over some time this year to see if I can find some records/plans of the house.

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am

MickOC;

Was your Dad a lot shorter and slimmer than Jimmy with fair hair? Did he also attend CBC?

Regarding the house - you should contact The Irish Architectural Society in Merrion Square - they just might have plans of the house. The Society has plans for most of the houses of Architectural interest in Ireland.

Sinéad

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:52 pm

I was passing Rathdown School this morning and there is a large sign 1919-2019. I decided to google a bit about the school,

In 1919 Mr. Wilfred P. Toone founded Hillcourt, to educate the sisters of boys attending Castle Park School which he founded sixteen years earlier. Mr. Toone persuaded two sisters, Gladys and Phyllis Palmer, to leave Cheltenham Ladies’ College and come to Dublin to run Hillcourt School.
Seaview, the home of the Synnott family on Upper Glenageary Road was purchased and the name changed to Hillcourt. The Palmer sisters opened the school in May 1919 with 33 boarding pupils who filled Hillcourt to capacity. Miss Mew was appointed Headmistress of Hillcourt School in 1972 with 82 pupils aged 8 to 17 years old.
Hillcourt House

Almost all the teaching took place in Hillcourt House. The B.S.R. (Big School Room) hosted the entire school for assemblies. The Common Room to the left of the Front Room had a dividing wall and housed two classrooms. In 1973 it was agreed that The Hall School in Monkstown and Park House School in Donnybrook would amalgamate with Hillcourt School to become Rathdown School with 500 pupils across three sites. Gradually Rathdown School took shape on the Glenageary site and in 1987 Glengara Park joined as the fourth member of the amalgamation. Rathdown School continues to the present day providing education for girls aged 3 to 18 built on the strong foundations of
the original Hillcourt School heritage.

some things planned for the celebrations,

11th November 2019 Rathdown School Archive Exhibition Launch, The Lexicon, Dún Laoghaire
11th-25th November 2019 Rathdown School Archive Exhibition, The Lexicon, Dún Laoghaire
Saturday, 16th November 2019 Centenary Gala Dinner in Royal Marine Hotel, Dún Laoghaire

William Allen White

Murphs

Post by Murphs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Going off subject here, but talk of the shop where Michael worked brought to mind another shop near by. it was owned by a Mr Doyle and it was on Cross Avenue, never seemed to be very busy.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:41 am

Murphs wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:51 pm
Going off subject here, but talk of the shop where Michael worked brought to mind another shop near by. it was owned by a Mr Doyle and it was on Cross Avenue, never seemed to be very busy.
I'm going completely off topic here but at one stage in the census namesakes of my family lived in Cross Ave . I was looking at the free newspapers last night and I see a planning application in for the two houses ! must go around and look.

William Allen White

Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Post by Denis Cromie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:33 pm

Just came across Murphs post. Doyle's was a very busy shop during my childhood. But it was always known as Mrs. Doyle's shop,she was a very imposing woman her husband Martin seemed to me that he was very much second-in-command. It was a family run shop, there was Agnes, Willie and Paddy who went to America, returned for a short while and went back again. There was another sister,I can't think of her name, she rarely worked in the shop and the youngest Mick, who died very tragically in his early 20's. The shop was pre supermarkets and most people in the area did most of their shopping there. It was a real local shop so plenty of gossip went on,happy days.

Murphs

Post by Murphs » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:32 am

Thanks for that Denis.I went to CBS Eblana with the eldest son Tommy , a really tall guy. He had a brother called Martin and at least one sister. As far as I know, they moved to Mountwood Flats in the mid 70s I think Tommy joined the fishing fleet in Kilybegs.

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:44 pm

Different Doyle's Murphs the one I'm talking about was facing Courtney's shop and was divided by a laneway with Paddy Farrell's shop.

Murphs

Post by Murphs » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:55 pm

Ah that makes sense I know that shop you mean The shop I was on about was at the top of Convent Road on the corner with Cross Avenue

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:01 pm

I didn't know much about that Doyle's shop, it was a latecomer to Cross Ave, Furlongs was its previous name.