Local History Books and On-line Resources

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...
User avatar
Zirco
Stellar Member
Posts: 1156
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:53 pm
Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Re: Local History Books and On-line Resources

Post by Zirco » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:02 am

Holla wrote:Helium =
Buller kinnane was a little before my time his son was the school attendance officer,I think mister meany got bullers job.


Zirco,=
you're bang on about the hickory I've no finger nails left :D ,actually have a photo of myself on the hickory.
Grammer posted about the hickory.....he was well acquainted with it, by all accounts. :lol:
Holla, who took the photo of you on the hickory, I'm intrigued? :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas

User avatar
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: The borough

Re: Local History Books and On-line Resources

Post by Holla » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:42 am

The Hickory was a set if steps leading to a side door,there's about ten of us standing on the steps I think it may have been our last year in the school, I've a feeling the teacher/master might of had the camera in to take a photo of the communion class

User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
Posts: 6593
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:29 am
Location: listening to lapping water
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Local History Books and On-line Resources

Post by Rocker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:58 am

Holla wrote:The Hickory was a set if steps leading to a side door,there's about ten of us standing on the steps I think it may have been our last year in the school, I've a feeling the teacher/master might of had the camera in to take a photo of the communion class
What are you waiting for???? Put up the picture. wuu wuu
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

User avatar
Helium
Advanced Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:19 pm

Re: Local History Books and On-line Resources

Post by Helium » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:38 pm

Holla wrote:Helium =
Buller kinnane was a little before my time his son was the school attendance officer,I think mister meany got bullers job.


Zirco,=
you're bang on about the hickory I've no finger nails left :D ,actually have a photo of myself on the hickory.

Thanks Holla, feeling very old now... scry scry scry

User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
Posts: 6593
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:29 am
Location: listening to lapping water
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Local History Books and On-line Resources

Post by Rocker » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:59 am

I know this is not about Dún Laoghaire but there are facinating facts about WW1 and the Easter Rising in this article produced by the East Wall residents. Great details about munitions factories etc

http://eastwallforall.ie/?p=2841
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

User avatar
grammer
The Spoon
Posts: 5329
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:30 pm
Location: 7th rock from the sun

Re: Local History Books and On-line Resources

Post by grammer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Rocker wrote:I know this is not about Dún Laoghaire but there are facinating facts about WW1 and the Easter Rising in this article produced by the East Wall residents. Great details about munitions factories etc

http://eastwallforall.ie/?p=2841
Great read Rocker -great find- wuu wuu
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers

User avatar
Strum
Administrator
Posts: 9820
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Local History Books and On-line Resources

Post by Strum » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:33 pm

While we're on this subject may I ask you knowledgeable folks what these random markings on different pages in an old book I'm scanning for? Just curious thanks. ;)


markss.JPG
markss.JPG (16.04 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
marks.JPG
marks.JPG (22.02 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

User avatar
skins
Executive Member
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:29 pm
Location: Arklow

Re: Local History Books and On-line Resources

Post by skins » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:52 pm

I was delighted to find, in the latest Historical Society Journal, a photo of the old cabman's shelter at the bottom of Marine Road, I've been looking for one for ages on the Net, without success. I think it's another one of those odd situations, in as much as hundreds of people would have stood outside it taking pics of the Town Hall across the road, over the years, but nobody ever thought of taking a photo in the reverse direction.
Skins

User avatar
Strum
Administrator
Posts: 9820
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Local History Books and On-line Resources

Post by Strum » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:00 pm

skins wrote:I was delighted to find, in the latest Historical Society Journal, a photo of the old cabman's shelter at the bottom of Marine Road, I've been looking for one for ages on the Net, without success. I think it's another one of those odd situations, in as much as hundreds of people would have stood outside it taking pics of the Town Hall across the road, over the years, but nobody ever thought of taking a photo in the reverse direction.

I remember it well Skins, smell of pi*$$, then it was bricked up, then re-opened as a tourist office. I did see a photo of it online but, no idea now, probably from a larger photo of a different shot. Try some different keywords maybe. I'll have a search too. Ask Enviro, he just sprang to mind. One of his photos?

User avatar
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 1367
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: The borough

Re: Local History Books and On-line Resources

Post by Holla » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:01 pm

Strum wrote:
skins wrote:I was delighted to find, in the latest Historical Society Journal, a photo of the old cabman's shelter at the bottom of Marine Road, I've been looking for one for ages on the Net, without success. I think it's another one of those odd situations, in as much as hundreds of people would have stood outside it taking pics of the Town Hall across the road, over the years, but nobody ever thought of taking a photo in the reverse direction.

I remember it well Skins, smell of pi*$$, then it was bricked up, then re-opened as a tourist office. I did see a photo of it online but, no idea now, probably from a larger photo of a different shot. Try some different keywords maybe. I'll have a search too. Ask Enviro, he just sprang to mind. One of his photos?

There's the old original plaque on the wall where it once stood,I think some man had it built in memory of his son who died young must have a look next time I'm down that way......Strum you think that smelled of Pi@ss go over to the Town hall and you will find some right pi@ss takers :evil:

Post Reply