Hillcourt Park, formerly Ardcuaine Estate, Glenageary.

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Re: Hillcourt Park, formerly Ardcuaine Estate, Glenageary.

Post by Sinead » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:16 am

It is true to say, I always knew Michael. My mother bought a lot of her vegetables in New Market and Michael was always there. I knew his mother who was a big time smoker. I knew Jimmy less well as he just passed through the shop on his way to/from school, he never worked in the shop. When Michael married he lived in either Silchester Road or Park, I think he had a daughter.
Last year I met Jimmy's widow in Faro Airport with her daughter and grandchild. Jimmy was a chiropodist with a practise on George's Street in Dun Laoghaire.
Michael was a very nice person, he was as kind to my children as he had been to me as a child.

Sinéad

MikeOC
Stellar Member

Post by MikeOC » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Sinead, that’s a lovely thing to read. I never met any of the Barry family other than Anne, who we lost a few years back. My sister would have met them all when she was a small child but most communication was via my Nan writing letters along with the odd phone call. Rosaline is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met.

It’s fair to say that smoking was treated like a religion in my family. They all smoked like chimneys - my Nan lived to 94 and had smoked pretty well every day since she was 12.

Mike

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:28 pm

MikeOC wrote:Sinead, that’s a lovely thing to read. I never met any of the Barry family other than Anne, who we lost a few years back. My sister would have met them all when she was a small child but most communication was via my Nan writing letters along with the odd phone call. Rosaline is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met.

It’s fair to say that smoking was treated like a religion in my family. They all smoked like chimneys - my Nan lived to 94 and had smoked pretty well every day since she was 12.

Mike
Gosh I'm moved reading this and I didn't know any of the people. That is what this site is about. People finding out about their loved ones from people in the community who knew them. The beating heart of the town wuu wuu

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:44 pm

MickOC

Michael Barry employed women in the shop when his mother finally gave up, mind you she would turn up unannounced and give her tuppence worth regularly. Sis Brook, Tess Toner and Dor Cronin are the names I can remember working there. Michael always did the weighing and lifting of potatoes in the inner store room.

Sinéad

MikeOC
Stellar Member

Post by MikeOC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 pm

Sinéad, just struck me that you may have been aware of my Dad, John. He’s about the same age as Jimmy and naturally was around Newmarket quite a bit.

Back in the topic of Coolevin, I’m loosely planning on a trip over some time this year to see if I can find some records/plans of the house.

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am

MickOC;

Was your Dad a lot shorter and slimmer than Jimmy with fair hair? Did he also attend CBC?

Regarding the house - you should contact The Irish Architectural Society in Merrion Square - they just might have plans of the house. The Society has plans for most of the houses of Architectural interest in Ireland.

Sinéad