Sallynoggin Church

People, places, stories.
User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
Posts: 6693
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:29 am
Location: listening to lapping water
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Sallynoggin Church

Post by Rocker » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks Strum, will check it out. Sitting in tonight with the high winds outside. We might have to have a beverage too. :lol:


I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

User avatar
Strum
Administrator
Posts: 9852
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Sallynoggin Church

Post by Strum » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:02 pm

Mere curiosity. Why do they put the mound of earth on top of boards for a month or so? Excuse my ignorance but I don't go to many burials, all my good-byes are up at the fiery furnace.




Image



User avatar
Toss
The Man.
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:48 pm
Location: A figment of your imagination
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Sallynoggin Church

Post by Toss » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:54 am

They are waiting on the consultants report as to what to do next, Strum :lol:


According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

User avatar
Strum
Administrator
Posts: 9852
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Sallynoggin Church

Post by Strum » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:23 am

Toss wrote:They are waiting on the consultants report as to what to do next, Strum :lol:


The chairman of the Board has to decide that, to keep the muck exposed or bury it, how much muck and for how long, that is the question? :D



User avatar
Rocker
Globetrotter
Posts: 6693
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:29 am
Location: listening to lapping water
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Sallynoggin Church

Post by Rocker » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:21 am

Here is my theory,
Years ago when the coffin was lowered into the hole the gravediggers would start work (in front of the grieving masses) and fill in the grave shovel by shovel of clay!! scry scry
Then in Deansgrange they got a wooden cover which had a green pretend grass on it and when the coffin was lowered the wooden cover was put on and when the mourners left the men filled in the grave.


I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

User avatar
Micheál
Skies are Blue
Posts: 2592
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am
Location: Within the sound of the Hooter
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Sallynoggin Church

Post by Micheál » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am

It's an over zealous interpretation of the regulations

"The grave shall not be filled in until after the mourners have departed"

Some of them are still with us.

M.



User avatar
Strum
Administrator
Posts: 9852
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Sallynoggin Church

Post by Strum » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Rocker wrote:Here is my theory,
Years ago when the coffin was lowered into the hole the gravediggers would start work (in front of the grieving masses) and fill in the grave shovel by shovel of clay!! scry scry
Then in Deansgrange they got a wooden cover which had a green pretend grass on it and when the coffin was lowered the wooden cover was put on and when the mourners left the men filled in the grave.

I thought the mound of earth stayed until the coffin collapsed in on itself and then they level the surface.

Where's that terrace through the fence?



User avatar
Sinead
Skies are Blue
Posts: 2105
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:09 pm
Location: Co.Dublin
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Sallynoggin Church

Post by Sinead » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:21 pm

Well Strum the mound of clay would be there for a very long time. The coffin takes years to decay. As Rocker said 'in the old days' the grave diggers filled the grave whilst the mourners were there. These days mechanical diggers are used and it would not be fitting for this to happen in front of the mourners hence the wooden cover with mock grass on which the flowers are laid. As soon as mourners have left and depending on the number of burials the grave is filled in.

Sinéad



User avatar
Strum
Administrator
Posts: 9852
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Sallynoggin Church

Post by Strum » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:33 pm

Sinead wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:21 pm
Well Strum the mound of clay would be there for a very long time. The coffin takes years to decay. As Rocker said 'in the old days' the grave diggers filled the grave whilst the mourners were there. These days mechanical diggers are used and it would not be fitting for this to happen in front of the mourners hence the wooden cover with mock grass on which the flowers are laid. As soon as mourners have left and depending on the number of burials the grave is filled in.

Sinéad

Thanks Sinead.



Post Reply