Around the town.

The Town and its People past and present...
Toss
The Man.

Re: Around the town.

Post by Toss » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 pm

Rocker wrote:hey seem to be opening an Edinburgh Woollen mills shop in the store!.
typical ... Blarney Woolen Mills not good enough for them :lol: :lol: :lol:

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Toss, Does Blarney Woolen Mills still exist? I seem to remember that family having a falling out many years ago.

Rocker, I had lunch in that Cafe a couple of weeks ago and I have to say it was very nice.

Sinéad

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:04 pm

out on foot around the town this morning. We came down the Noggin Hill and the top of the town is getting a grand bit of a lift. Painters doing up two shops. Those old Lees premises have a to let sign on them. Scotts is looking good. The flower shop at the entrance to the shopping centre is in full bloom ...all in all a very positive feel to the place. Spring is coming the heart of the town is lifting.

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:14 pm

Great buzz in the town this morning. Good sales in Shaws (which is now nationwide...not almost nationwide!). Tierneys have marvellous reductions and the Bagle at Quigleys was to die for. We did sit and chat and sort out the world for a number of hours. Glad they weren't renting the seat by the hour!!

William Allen White

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Rocker wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:04 pm
out on foot around the town this morning. We came down the Noggin Hill and the top of the town is getting a grand bit of a lift. Painters doing up two shops. Those old Lees premises have a to let sign on them. Scotts is looking good. The flower shop at the entrance to the shopping centre is in full bloom ...all in all a very positive feel to the place. Spring is coming the heart of the town is lifting.

Except that lazy bas*tard who owns Harry's Cafe. What a shambles the place looks. I know I've said it before about TWO years ago and still not a lick of paint on that side wall.
Surely these renters have a responsibility to look after the premises?

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:51 pm

The only way you can check this is to go and look at it yourself. The red line is the top of the glass barrier around Wetherspoons and it lines up perfectly with every building, the horizon, all the lines on the town hall etc EXCEPT for the station which was either not built level which I doubt, or it has sunk about a foot on the left hand side.
My brother, a builder, says it's an optical illusion but I'm an artist and I'm positive he's wrong.
Go and check it out folks. Just bend your head down and line up the top of the glass all around from the town hall to the horizon out past Howth and tell me I'm wrong about the station.
The mad things you spot on cheap beer eh! :D

EDIT: Or the Pavilion building isn't level? Either way, something is amiss.

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:11 pm

Horizontal perspectives of buildings only allign if the buildings are parallel to one another. Think what it would be like if the rail station was at 45 degrees to the 40 Ft.

Vertical lines always allign regardless of iorientation of buildings

M.

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:03 pm

Micheál wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:11 pm
Horizontal perspectives of buildings only allign if the buildings are parallel to one another. Think what it would be like if the rail station was at 45 degrees to the 40 Ft.

Vertical lines always allign regardless of iorientation of buildings

M.

Go and have a look. :D

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:21 am

My guess is that Wetherspoons was not built when the railway station was constructed so the builders did not know that they had to line it up with the top of the glass parapet around Wetherspoons.

William Allen White

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:49 am

Strum wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:51 pm
[...] Just bend your head down and line up the top of the glass [...]
Just realising that this scientific experiment can be conducted in any licenced establishment. Any beverage should work but maybe it's best to choose, ahem, spirits.

M.

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Beer, spirits, Coffee whatever, go down and have a look. I know I'm right. "something" is not level.

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:27 am

Strum, perhaps my eyes are misaligned, the pier does not appear to be in proper alignment. The railway station is built on quite a steep slope so perhaps the top of it is a little off kilter.

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:50 pm

Sinead wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:27 am
Strum, perhaps my eyes are misaligned, the pier does not appear to be in proper alignment. The railway station is built on quite a steep slope so perhaps the top of it is a little off kilter.
Thanks Sinéad, yes it's on a hill as is the Town Hall but all the lines are level all around the panorama until you get to the Station, and by using the top of that glass as a level you'll see that the left hand side of it has dropped a bit.

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:21 pm

The 40ft is not placed perfectly "square" to any of its surrounding buildings (those in view from the drink deck); in fact none of them seem to share any parallel relationship with each other.

So no horizonal element of the 40ft can accurately align with horizontal elements in the neighbouring buildings. (Exception: horizontal elements at the exact same elevation will align regardless of orientation of building, but in this case, most of the viewed buildings are well below the glass rail). The most 'aligned' building is probably the yacht club which might seem more or less aligned to the casual observer.

M.

Example
These three similar buildings are seen through a glass barrier. Buildings #1 & #2 are dead square to the glass and the viewer can align the top of the glass with the top of these two buildings. Building #3 is turned slightly towards the viewer and seems to 'dip'.

bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Post by bugrock » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:22 am

I would hate to think a building's level was determined by an accessory of fallible alignment such as a balcony rail.

If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!