Sport

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Re: Sport

Post by Sinead » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:19 pm

That sense applies to both males and females - one of my mother's expressions was 'he/she thinks her pee smell of eau de cologne' very descriptive.

Sinéad

skins
Executive Member

Post by skins » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:03 pm

What, in God's name, were they thinking of at Ballybrack F.C.?

Skins

Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Post by Holla » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:48 pm

skins wrote:What, in God's name, were they thinking of at Ballybrack F.C.?
Just waiting to see what the story is on primetime tonight not good for the club's reputation.

Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Post by Denis Cromie » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Time to polish up the old football boots.If Ballybrack United are that short of players I might even get me game. BangHead

jabra
Advanced Member

Post by jabra » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Well its headlines front page of The Sun this morning One person banned from all activities in the club no names mentioned.
Leinster senior league also conducting their own enquiry. Imagine other clubs sending messages of sympathy and holding
a minute silence at matches and wearing black arm bands. Oh the shame of it.

Jabra

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:49 pm

{t is an absolute shame Jabra. When you think of all the great people that have given their time to promote soccer all over the country and some fool in a stupid act brings such shame onto the game. BangHead

Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Post by Jemser » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:22 am

I am in the US at the moment and it even made the news headlines on CNN here in Tennessee tonight. I know nothing about soccer, but I know this isn't good.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:58 am

There's no such thing as bad publicity :D .... a week ago they were unknown outside Dublin, now they are world famous after bringing a player back from the dead.

Fake news indeed :lol:

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:04 pm

2 Games 6 points can't beat that,opposition not up to much but at least we saw us trying to play football and that can't be bad. I really enjoyed how we played tonight for the first time in a long time. Players were allowed to express themselves as professionals and not been afraid to upset the manager. Football,in my view, should always be at least 70 per cent instinct and should not be just the dictates of a coach. Fair play to Mick I think he has brought back some respect to our national soccer team. We may not qualify but as long as we try to play the game in a positive manner I'll be happy. OLé, Olé, Olé, Olé, Olé, Olé.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:32 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:04 pm
2 Games 6 points can't beat that,opposition not up to much but at least we saw us trying to play football and that can't be bad. I really enjoyed how we played tonight for the first time in a long time. Players were allowed to express themselves as professionals and not been afraid to upset the manager. Football,in my view, should always be at least 70 per cent instinct and should not be just the dictates of a coach. Fair play to Mick I think he has brought back some respect to our national soccer team. We may not qualify but as long as we try to play the game in a positive manner I'll be happy. OLé, Olé, Olé, Olé, Olé, Olé.
Well said Denis, all very true and if we get rid of Delaney and his mates then it would really give me some hope for the future...... Niall Quinn spoke very well last night and certainly looks like a man who would shake up the FAI.

wuu wuu wuu

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:41 pm

Witnessed a hilarious scene in Lidl today

An obviously enthusiastic mum was buying a large supply of sliotars which were on special offer.
A pleasant young lady on the checkout (with an accent which was not from the Noggin) politely inquired what were these thing for? There followed a long explanation of Hurling/Camogie.

That left me wondering . . .

Is hurling all its cracked up to be when - in a neighborhood that had All Ireland champions for the past year - there are still people who haven't a clue what it is. :D

Should Lidl be worried about alignment of branding and staff training? After all, they are "serious supporters" of Ladies Gaelic football https://www.lidl.ie/en/serious-support.htm
:D

All in all, it was nice to observe staff interacting so well with customers.

M.

Harjoe
Executive Member

Post by Harjoe » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:21 am

Denis you are right the best football from an Irish team in years never saw Glen Whelan play the ball forward for years and the rest of them defended with heart and thats all the Irish public want players who play for the shirt with heart win or lose for too long we have been fearful of upsetting the manager and coach. by the way anyone need tennis balls.

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Good man Harjoe,did you manage to gather a few of them thummbs and you're dead right about Glenn Whelan I never saw him play that well. He had kept that skill hidden for far too long

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:31 pm

Harjoe wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:21 am
Denis you are right the best football from an Irish team in years never saw Glen Whelan play the ball forward for years and the rest of them defended with heart and thats all the Irish public want players who play for the shirt with heart win or lose for too long we have been fearful of upsetting the manager and coach. by the way anyone need tennis balls.

Great to see you back Harjoe. It has been lonely here without your great soccer expertise thummbs

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

jabra
Advanced Member

Post by jabra » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:00 pm

Micheal
what has a noggin accent to do with anything or do you even know what a noggin accent sounds like ???

Jabra

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:12 pm

jabra wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:00 pm
Micheal
what has a noggin accent to do with anything or do you even know what a noggin accent sounds like ???
I think Micheál was being polite and didn't want to refer to the lady as "non Irish" or whatever. I think I know what a noggin accent sounds like . I have the Rock accent myself!!

William Allen White

bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Post by bugrock » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:20 am

Welcome back, Harjoe! Hope all is well with you.
Maybe if talk nice, we can coax Dancer too!

If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:33 pm

jabra wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:00 pm
Micheal
You're quite right Jabra - nothing to do with the 'Noggin. I'm not even that sure where that is.
I should have written -

". . . Lidl in Thomastown . . . . (with an accent which was not from Thomastown) . . ."

Was never that good on Geography, or Hurling . . . . or Linguistics. :D

M.

Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Post by Jemser » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:46 am

Just to be accurate, the sign on Lidl reads, "Welcome to Lidl Glenageary". Some may even say I am somewhat pedantic. shtock :D

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:59 am

Jemser wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:46 am
the sign on Lidl reads, "Welcome to Lidl Glenageary"....
Except it's not in Glenageary; neither is neighbouring "Glenageary" Postal Sorting Office. Or nearby "Glenageary" Shopping Centre. dontknow

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:16 am

Micheál wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:59 am
Jemser wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:46 am
the sign on Lidl reads, "Welcome to Lidl Glenageary"....
Except it's not in Glenageary; neither is neighbouring "Glenageary" Postal Sorting Office. Or nearby "Glenageary" Shopping Centre. dontknow

I had a look at the 25inch OSI map (1888-1913) and I think Lidl is in Glenageary,

http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html

Thomastown appears a little further as the Townland and further along that road there is Avondale where my Gt gt grandfather lived and they always said they came from Thomastown! confusion reigns.

William Allen White

GlenagearyGuru
Stellar Member

Post by GlenagearyGuru » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:52 pm

Glenageary
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdow ... lenageary/

Thomastown
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdow ... homastown/

There's no "Sallynoggin" townland at all at all - only Electoral Divisions

GG

Harjoe
Executive Member

Post by Harjoe » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Thanks for all the welcomes back on Friday night at Stradbrook, I had the pleasure of presenting Micheal D with a copy of my Soccer in the Boro book to give him an insight of how much sport there was in the Borough area over the last 100 years ,he was attending the Cabinteely V Galway United match and a most assuming man and gentle with all who he met from local counsellors to special Olympics to footballers he had a smile and a word for everyone.

Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Post by Holla » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:27 pm

Regarding Lidl the supermarket was built on the site where mount Belton bungalows stood so why not "welcome to Lidl Mount Belton ".On a side note and on the same road my great grandparents marriage certificate (1896) reads The Sally noggins glenageary kingstown parish of monkstown .Sorry strum way off topic.

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Tiger is the 2019 Masters Champion, what a comeback. I must say that I thought that he was finished winning Majors but no. He today has probably established himself as the greatest golfer ever. To overcome such physical and mental difficulties over the last 10/15 years is to me the most spectacular sporting performance that I have witnessed. I watched the whole of it this afternoon/evening and I can say that it was just marvellous. Well done Tiger.