Sport

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.
Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: Sport

Post by Rocker » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:10 pm

Denis, I'm delighted too for Tiger. Great victory.

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sun May 05, 2019 9:34 pm

Not being a sporty person I don't know what goes on in Dublin on the sports front. However, we were away for a few days and took a flight yesterday from Vienna...it was jam packed with football fans. The UEFA under 17's are going on in Ireland and teams and their families and crowding in. The parents we spoke to were so enthusiastic about getting to see Ireland. What a great boost to the economy.
https://www.uefa.com/under17/

William Allen White

Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Post by Denis Cromie » Tue May 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Yeah Rocker,I've watched 2 of the matches,some good football and Ireland have a big one on Thursday against Belgium. Hope we win, good to see it getting support.

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Wed May 08, 2019 11:37 am

Great performance by Liverpool last night. It was great to see the never say die attitude of the team. Other teams could have used the fact that their 2 outstanding goal scorers could not play and they were up against one of the best soccer teams in the world,but no, they played with the believe that they could win and they did magnificently. Well done Liverpool and their super manager.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 am

Denis Cromie wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:37 am
Great performance by Liverpool last night. It was great to see the never say die attitude of the team. Other teams could have used the fact that their 2 outstanding goal scorers could not play and they were up against one of the best soccer teams in the world,but no, they played with the believe that they could win and they did magnificently. Well done Liverpool and their super manager.

Well they did it!!

William Allen White

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 am

So delighted for Katie Taylor. Well done.

William Allen White

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:57 am

Great win, delighted for her,a real warrior. And Liverpool did it, I thought the awarding of the penalty in the first minute spoiled the game, apart for it being very harsh Liverpool sat back and didn't play their normal attacking game. It wasn't the best game of soccer I've seen.

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:30 pm

Not one bit impressed with Ms. Taylor.

Women shouldnt be boxing. Men neither.

It's an obnoxious 'sport' that deserves eradication just like Coursing, Badger Baiting and Cock Fighting.

And dont start all that "character building" baloney and "it keeps them out of jail" mularkey.

Any sport whos primary objectives include giving an opponent concussion should never recieve State aid.

And then theres the integrity of the "organistion" that purports to regulate it.

M.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Micheál wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:30 pm

It's an obnoxious 'sport' that deserves eradication just like Coursing, Badger Baiting and Cock Fighting.

And dont start all that "character building" baloney and "it keeps them out of jail" mularkey.

Any sport whos primary objectives include giving an opponent concussion should never recieve State aid.

And then theres the integrity of the "organistion" that purports to regulate it.

M.
I agree M, but where do you draw the line ........ a lot of populist sports have a 'take him/her out at all costs mentality' that is conveniently ignored by its fan base and organisers. Boxing is top of the list, but any contact sport that offers the opportunity to cause GBH to an opponent deserves to be questioned as to whether its a sport at all.

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:29 am

That's a valid question Toss.

I'd start by distinguishing rules from behaviour. Those sports whose very rules require or allow competitors (and animals) to be harmed would be top of my list. (Why are Jockeys allowed use whips?)

Then there are lots of contact sports where players(& officials) behaviour is problematic even though the rules seem safe. E.g. ice hockey, horse racing and rugby (though I acknowledge the slow learners in IRFU are catching up).

On the other hand, as recently as yesterday, I was delighted to observe how Hurling referrers didn't hesitate to reach for red for "pulls" that were more careless than deliberate.

Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Post by Dancer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Micheál wrote:

M.
Couldn’t agree more !

xx Dancer xx

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Bernard M. Baruch

gingertom

Post by gingertom » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:39 pm

Rocker wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 am
So delighted for Katie Taylor. Well done.
Quite right Rocker. Katie Taylor has shown that boxing training is a good thing to further equality between
the sexes.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other- ... 83113.html

The Sport is highly regulated and does come under the Court for Arbitration in Sport where the parties agree.

https://www.tas-cas.org/en/index.html

I am quite surprised by the attitude displayed by Toss and Mícheál as they have stated above.
Toss and Mícheál............remember Ireland is not the Patriarchial Society it was before the 1990s and there is no going back, lads!
Would you both like to tell 50% of the population that they are prohibited from experiencing something that the other 50% can? The Ballot box is a true leveller Mícheál!
Medievalists!
This viewpoint has clearly been rejected by modern and current popular social comment which supports universal access by men and women to all sports. Are you saying that boxing is just a masculine exercise?
If we decide to deny women access to Boxing, should we then in equal application, prohibit LGBT from taking part in anything that is may be perceived to be unsuitable for a non-masculine participant?

zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:19 pm

gingertom wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:39 pm
I am quite surprised by the attitude displayed by Toss and Mícheál as they have stated above.
Toss and Mícheál............remember Ireland is not the Patriarchial Society it was before the 1990s and there is no going back, lads!
Would you both like to tell 50% of the population that they are prohibited from experiencing something that the other 50% can? The Ballot box is a true leveller Mícheál!
Medievalists!
This viewpoint has clearly been rejected by modern and current popular social comment which supports universal access by men and women to all sports. Are you saying that boxing is just a masculine exercise?
If we decide to deny women access to Boxing, should we then in equal application, prohibit LGBT from taking part in anything that is may be perceived to be unsuitable for a non-masculine participant?

I cannot speak for Micheal, but I find your post quite unnecessary and offensive. Micheál's comment was "Women shouldn't be boxing and Men neither". I replied by agreeing with him as I read his comment as being against Boxing as a sport. At no stage was this a Men Vs Women debate, you are making that assumption and you are totally wrong as far as I am concerned.

Whenever and whatever I have debated on here, it has never descended into name calling .... you have stepped over a line here and your Medievalists comment is a low blow (in boxing terms).

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:19 am

Toss, I'm guessing GT was referring to perceived attitudes rather than anyone in particular. Or if it was either of us, maybe he meant "Medalists"

Let he, or she, that's ever failed to read the point at first reading cast the first stone!

(Is Stoning a Regulated contact sport?)

M.

gingertom

Post by gingertom » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:45 am

Micheál wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:19 am
Toss, I'm guessing GT was referring to perceived attitudes rather than anyone in particular. Or if it was either of us, maybe he meant "Medalists"

Let he, or she, that's ever failed to read the point at first reading cast the first stone!

(Is Stoning a Regulated contact sport?)

M.
I meant medievalists! Both of you!

gingertom

Post by gingertom » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:25 am

Toss wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:19 pm
gingertom wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:39 pm
Medievalists!

I cannot speak for Micheal, but I find your post quite unnecessary and offensive. Micheál's comment was "Women shouldn't be boxing and Men neither". I replied by agreeing with him as I read his comment as being against Boxing as a sport. At no stage was this a Men Vs Women debate, you are making that assumption and you are totally wrong as far as I am concerned.

Whenever and whatever I have debated on here, it has never descended into name calling .... you have stepped over a line here and your Medievalists comment is a low blow (in boxing terms).
I simply called out a post which I found to be Medieval in its meaning Toss. We are in different times now in terms of where the access to sports, for men and women, should be provided equally. This should be universal in its application. This is the line that I cross. Any other view is simply medieval.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:16 pm

gingertom wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:25 am
I simply called out a post which I found to be Medieval in its meaning Toss. We are in different times now in terms of where the access to sports, for men and women, should be provided equally. This should be universal in its application. This is the line that I cross. Any other view is simply medieval.
GT, can you point out exactly where the equality of provision was raised or mentioned in my post or Micheal's ? I am trying to understand where your interpetation is coming from.

I note while mentioning Micheal and myself, you ignore Dancer who also 'Couldn't agree more' with Micheal's post, is she also a Medievalist ? (for equality purposes of course).

gingertom

Post by gingertom » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:38 pm

Toss, the subject was a young Irish lady who has excelled at her chosen sport.
If boxing was not available to her, by it being denied to her or any man for that matter, that would be
an exercise in medieval thoughts and patently unfair.
I am also saying that anyone who shares those thought are old-fashioned too.
She has represented her country with honour and dignity and this is something that should be appreciated.
I am saying that all sports should be open to all.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:32 pm

gingertom wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:38 pm
Toss, the subject was a young Irish lady who has excelled at her chosen sport.
If boxing was not available to her, by it being denied to her or any man for that matter, that would be
an exercise in medieval thoughts and patently unfair.
I am also saying that anyone who shares those thought are old-fashioned too.
She has represented her country with honour and dignity and this is something that should be appreciated.
I am saying that all sports should be open to all.
And here I am thinking the subject was Sport as per the heading and that I was debating the merits of what constitutes a sport with Micheal.

I would be interested to know what other posters think...... was it as a post about boxing as a sport ? or are Micheal, Dancer and myself all guilty of the charge you make against us.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Micheál wrote:

M.
Micheál I read that the other day and didn't know what to say. Of course you are right but, I feel if Katie decided to follow this sport I am delighted tha she has got her wishes fulfilled.
I am not a sporty type as I was always afraid of getting hurt and I am not agile enough!!
When you list all those "sports" you make me stop in my tracks. I had never thought about the whole thing! You are right they shouldn't get State aid.

William Allen White

Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Post by Dancer » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:31 pm

Toss wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:16 pm

I note while mentioning Micheal and myself, you ignore Dancer who also 'Couldn't agree more' with Micheal's post, is she also a Medievalist ? (for equality purposes of course).
[/quote]

I’m not a Medievalist......just a drama queen r3ofl
Toss wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:32 pm

And here I am thinking the subject was Sport as per the heading and that I was debating the merits of what constitutes a sport with Micheal.

I would be interested to know what other posters think...... was it as a post about boxing as a sport ? or are Micheal, Dancer and myself all guilty of the charge you make against us.

Here’s what I got from the posts. Rocker congratulated Katie Taylor on a great win and Michéal said he wasn’t impressed at all as he doesn’t support or appreciate the need for women or men raising their gloved fists to each other in the name of sport .
I agree 100% with Michéal as the thought of anyone training to knock seven bells out of an opponent is abhorrent to me . When I watched the news the other evening and a woman said to a reporter that Katie is a great role model , I was dumbfounded. I’m not trying to take away from Katie at all but I would never support her in her current choice of sport as I believe it is dangerous to women and men and far from dignified.
If someone were to ask me who I would consider to be a great role model for young women , I would say Sonia O’Sullivan .

xx Dancer xx

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Bernard M. Baruch

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm enjoying this debate, there will always be disagreements about boxing. Katie decided that it was the sport for her and she became the world champion, now that is some feat with the millions of people that take part in it. And to suggest that it should not be state funded dumbfounds me, political correctness gone mad. Boxing is probably one of the oldest sports in the world and by far the one that this country is most successful at. It's governed by very strict rules that are recognised throughout the world. So whether you like it or not no one should diminish Katie's achievement.

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:48 pm

1 all against Denmark,what a spirited performance.. May not have been the prettiest but we played with passion and freedom that has been very lacking under the last 2 managers. I'm starting to enjoy watching us play again.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:43 pm
I'm enjoying this debate, there will always be disagreements about boxing. Katie decided that it was the sport for her and she became the world champion, now that is some feat with the millions of people that take part in it. And to suggest that it should not be state funded dumbfounds me, political correctness gone mad. Boxing is probably one of the oldest sports in the world and by far the one that this country is most successful at. It's governed by very strict rules that are recognised throughout the world. So whether you like it or not no one should diminish Katie's achievement.
My issue has nothing to do with Katie Taylor's success or state funding, I just do not see Boxing as a sport. I just wish humans would evolve enough to recognise that beating each other up for entertainment is not a positive idea.

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:58 pm

I agree Toss but people have been fighting since time immemorial, it's in the human/animal DNA whether we like it or not. I, like you wish it wasn't so, but that's the way it is and now we have a world champion so let's give her that credit.