Sport

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Re: Sport

Post by gingertom » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:45 pm

Toss wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 pm
Denis Cromie wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:43 pm
I'm enjoying this debate, there will always be disagreements about boxing. Katie decided that it was the sport for her and she became the world champion, now that is some feat with the millions of people that take part in it. And to suggest that it should not be state funded dumbfounds me, political correctness gone mad. Boxing is probably one of the oldest sports in the world and by far the one that this country is most successful at. It's governed by very strict rules that are recognised throughout the world. So whether you like it or not no one should diminish Katie's achievement.
My issue has nothing to do with Katie Taylor's success or state funding, I just do not see Boxing as a sport. I just wish humans would evolve enough to recognise that beating each other up for entertainment is not a positive idea.
Boxing is a sport and is another way in which humanity displays its innate competitive spirit by physical action coupled with some guile.
The training required for the attainment of the appropriate physical fitness to compete in the discipline designates as such. Boxing is an exercise in controlled aggression. Scoring points is the first objective by landing punches on the opponent. We should celebrate all our Irish Athletes, whatever their discipline.
The actions that take place in the ring are only part of what boxing is as one of the very first human ventures into creating a type of sport.
Remember, boxing has evolved from unregulated and uncontrolled human thuggery into a form of controlled competitive aggression.
Toss, human aggression could never be quelled, only controlled with oversight.
Humanity would idle, just like a drifting life-raft, doomed to float to retro-evolutional oblivion.
If we could quell human aggression, we would be able to dismiss war to the land of the Dodo.
But in so doing, for example, we would destroy our innate desire to attain better in all academic or even medical furtherance and innovation.

http://iaba.ie/site3/wp-content/uploads ... -Book-.pdf

zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:08 pm

"human aggression could never be quelled, only controlled with oversight."
I encountered "human aggression" yesterday. I was driving on a narrow road in Killiney and there were throngs of young lads 16/17 going to the beach. They were walking on the path and spilling onto the road. I was approaching quite slowly behind them and gave the horn a beeb to alert them. They moved slightly to one side and as I drove by (at about 5mph ) the ringleader and most aggressive got me on the side of the face and shoulder with a "gollier". My initial thought was "I'll get out and kill him" however I just continued driving. He was hugly aggressive but, if I'd had a gun I'd have killed the lot of them so, I suppose< I was feeling aggression too!! How I pity anyone in authority who has to deal with these yobs!!

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Rocker that's a horrible thing to experience. Spitting on someone is a most disgusting thing to do.
You were right not to stop and engage with such louts.
Events like this show the need for a greater Garda presence on the borough coastline during every summer.
Such an assault should be reported to at least notify the local police to
at least show some uniform presence in beach areas.

Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Post by Denis Cromie » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:00 pm

S0rry to hear that Rocker,shame on them. Can't see much joy ever coming to their life.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:59 pm

Rocker wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:08 pm
How I pity anyone in authority who has to deal with these yobs!!
Childrens rights... They are untouchable as are their parents. Anyone who thinks this type of behaviour will be dealt with is fooling themselves.

I have a dash camera and it puts a lot of dodgy characters on the back foot... One of the best thing I ever bought. I would strongly advise you to go to Halfords in Carrickmines n get one fitted. In the event of an accident or incident, you have evidence.

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:05 pm

Good advice Toss. Though I think you now need someone walking in front of the vehicle with a flag and handing out GDPR Terms and Conditions.

So sorry for you Rocker but I admire your presence of mind and resillience.

Funny thing, I was on the DART yesterday and remarked how the fine weather had mobilised so many unusually large groups of teens. I was thinking this spells trouble and maybe we should be grateful for normal dull weather to resume. Though in actual fact I observed nothing particularly troublesome on my journey.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:16 pm

Thanks to you all. I did feel shaken. In my nearly 70 years I have never had anyone spit at me! I wasn't frightened just felt violated. If only I hadn't had the window rolled down. Your man could win an Olympic medal with the precision of the spit!!

We never go to the beach in the hot weather as the lost loutish behaviour goes on. It is a wonder no one is killed they have too much to drink and go into the water jarred!!!

William Allen White

bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Post by bugrock » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:24 am

Sorry to hear about this disgusting episode, Rocker. Rest assured these jokers always get their comeuppance down the track.
Had a lad give me a very hard time on the road because I wouldn't break the speed limit. Eventually he passed at high speed over double lines. About a mile down the road he was pulled over and I gleefully slowed down and eyeballed him with an evil but satisfying grin and a wave!

If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!

Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Post by Dancer » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:18 pm

Boxing is a sport and is another way in which humanity displays its innate competitive spirit by physical action coupled with some guile. Scoring points is the first objective by landing punches on the opponent. We should celebrate all our Irish Athletes, whatever their discipline.

Why on earth would anybody want to support somebody landing punches on another person in the name of sport . Whatever about strengthening ones abdominals to resist a punch , you can’t strengthen your head or your eye sockets . I could never find boxing entertaining on any level .

Rocker I’m appalled that anyone would do such a thing to a person . It’s such a pity you didn’t have a dashcam to record them. That kind of behaviour just makes me sick to my stomach .

xx Dancer xx

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Bernard M. Baruch

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Dancer wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:18 pm
Boxing is a sport and is another way in which humanity displays its innate competitive spirit by physical action coupled with some guile. Scoring points is the first objective by landing punches on the opponent. We should celebrate all our Irish Athletes, whatever their discipline.

Why on earth would anybody want to support somebody landing punches on another person in the name of sport . Whatever about strengthening ones abdominals to resist a punch , you can’t strengthen your head or your eye sockets . I could never find boxing entertaining on any level .

Rocker I’m appalled that anyone would do such a thing to a person . It’s such a pity you didn’t have a dashcam to record them. That kind of behaviour just makes me sick to my stomach .
Dancer In order to protect such areas, the boxer trains to be in a physically fit position, to defend him or herself from such blows. They strengthen their bodies to ensure stamina and therefore enhance their ability to maintain fitness in order to block blows to these areas.
That's what makes it a competitive sport.
Like boxing or loathe it......it is a sport.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:37 pm

Dancer wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:18 pm
Right click for some insight

But hey, for some its great fun to watch and to wager on. It even gives the underprivileged a way out of the gutter...... funny but you don't see too many boxers coming out of the fee paying schools/colleges sports programmes around Dun Laoghaire and D4 these days.

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:16 pm

Toss, in privileged areas, rugby is one avenue of approach for youth sporting excellence engaged within schools in those areas.
We should remember that rugby can be as potentially dangerous as boxing in terms of
the potential for serious or life-threatening injury.
To contrast the objectives of Rugby and Boxing........
Why do we think that it's permissible to strike an opponent with our bodies
but we should not do this by using our hands.
Using that logic, we must celebrate our successful boxers as well as our rugby heroes.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:50 am

gingertom wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:16 pm
Toss, in privileged areas, rugby is one avenue of approach for youth sporting excellence engaged within schools in those areas.
We should remember that rugby can be as potentially dangerous as boxing in terms of
the potential for serious or life-threatening injury.
To contrast the objectives of Rugby and Boxing........
Why do we think that it's permissible to strike an opponent with our bodies
but we should not do this by using our hands.
Using that logic, we must celebrate our successful boxers as well as our rugby heroes.

You have it there gingertom. Rugby is very rough lately. Real killer instinct! I never really followed it but, the few games I see are now scary. Remember the time that fellow picked BOD up and slammed him ! ouch!

It does though have the name of being a "gentleman's sport" but who named it? ahhh the gentlemen who play it lauugh
I'm very much a "downstairs family" and we always followed soccer (Spurs for me) and boxing. I sat as a child watching Floyd Patterson and Harry Perry all the greats and though nothing of it. There were also "fisticuffs" outside the schools and visits to the hospital with dislocated joints from same!!(mostly the lads).

William Allen White

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:34 pm

gingertom wrote:
The aim of boxing is to land severe blows to the head or body of an opponent, thereby incapacitating or knocking him/her out.

Whilst I agree Rugby is a dangerous sport (and not one I support), its aims are nothing like that of Boxing. There is no 'we must' as far as I'm concerned, people can make their own minds up and are entitled to their own opinion.

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Toss wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:34 pm
gingertom wrote:
The aim of boxing is to land severe blows to the head or body of an opponent, thereby incapacitating or knocking him/her out.

Whilst I agree Rugby is a dangerous sport (and not one I support), its aims are nothing like that of Boxing. There is no 'we must' as far as I'm concerned, people can make their own minds up and are entitled to their own opinion.
The aim of rugby is to ground a ball in a designated area of your opponent's territory by
evading and landing serious body blows to the opposing teams players.
Its actually quite similar in its principles.

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:04 pm

Now that's what you call Soccer. Need I say more? What a game. :shock: 8-)

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:21 am

To my shame the first match I've watched in the Womens World Cup was the game between USA and England and it was one of the best games of soccer that I've seem for some time. The skill and set up of the teams was top class and very enjoyable to watch,if this standard continues there should be a good future for the sport.

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:21 am
To my shame the first match I've watched in the Womens World Cup was the game between USA and England and it was one of the best games of soccer that I've seem for some time. The skill and set up of the teams was top class and very enjoyable to watch,if this standard continues there should be a good future for the sport.

Brilliant to watch Denis. No wimps out there on the pitch, they just get up and get on with it. Well done to the US.

Denis Cromie

Post by Denis Cromie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:37 pm

I agree,enjoyable to watch.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:29 pm

Well done Shane Lowry ..... brilliant performance under pressure today. wuu wuu wuu

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:12 pm

Toss wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:29 pm
Well done Shane Lowry ..... brilliant performance under pressure today. wuu wuu wuu
so happy for him and his family.

William Allen White

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:40 pm

Congratulations to Shane Lowry for his win at Royal Portrush.
It is great to see an Irishman win the Open on our island, especially in the menacing shadow of Brexit.
It's a great example to illustrate how all sports unite all cultures within any territorial sphere.