Somewhere to Chat.

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.
Toss
The Man.

Re: Somewhere to Chat.

Post by Toss » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:23 am

bugrock wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:48 pm
Toss, I think there must be a collective consciousness around the world,as I see the same thuggery everywhere from young people.
Yes .... but dare we point the finger at the media and its glamourisation of violence ........ monkey see, monkey do !!!!

I have argued for years that children don't get the urge to steal cars from nowhere, watching and playing "grand theft auto" is bound to have an influence. The same can be said about gang violence ..... its a learned behaviour from TV/Film.

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Post by bugrock » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:54 am

Much as I agree,Toss, a lot of young hoons can't even read and write,. This would surely limit their gaming experiences. I would also argue that a lot of Rap "music" contains the lousy grammer and filthy messages they fully understand.
A point I would like to make is that not all rap is like this, just the stuff to which these young thugs gravitate.
While not saying my view is correct, I do get this idea from my years as a DJ.

If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:34 pm

bugrock wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:54 am
Much as I agree,Toss, a lot of young hoons can't even read and write,. This would surely limit their gaming experiences. I would also argue that a lot of Rap "music" contains the lousy grammer and filthy messages they fully understand.
A point I would like to make is that not all rap is like this, just the stuff to which these young thugs gravitate.
While not saying my view is correct, I do get this idea from my years as a DJ.
The ability to read and write does not excuse bad behaviour ... but a lack of parenting must have a huge impact. If teenagers are out of control, it does not happen overnight.

Has no one noticed little Johnny was out all hours ?

Has no one noticed his language and aggressive behaviour getting worse ?

What is his school record like ?

From my experience, teenagers out of control have a history of poor parenting, lack of structure and no limits. There can of course be excuses for all of this, but my guess is that the behaviour goes back to the ages of 6, 7 or 8 and has evolved since then. In Ireland, what happens between Primary School and Secondary ? are the systems are linked and records forwarded ? I know from my kids time, it was goodbye and good luck when they left Primary School ..... maybe its changed now, but if not it needs to. A childs education should be linked and tracked with any issues such as truancy or aggressive behaviour easily identified along the way.... but that is probably asking too much or just not acceptable under childrens rights.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:28 pm

Further to the above discussion about lawless teens and lack of ..... today this happened :

An 800-year-old 'Crusader' from a crypt in St Michan's Church in Dublin has been decapitated by vandals. Archdeacon David Pierpoint spoke to Philip Boucher-Hayes on RTÉ's Liveline and said the Crusader's head has been "severed from his body and taken away."

What are the chances it was poor bored kids just having some fun ?

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:43 pm

Toss wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:28 pm
Further to the above discussion about lawless teens and lack of ..... today this happened :

An 800-year-old 'Crusader' from a crypt in St Michan's Church in Dublin has been decapitated by vandals. Archdeacon David Pierpoint spoke to Philip Boucher-Hayes on RTÉ's Liveline and said the Crusader's head has been "severed from his body and taken away."

What are the chances it was poor bored kids just having some fun ?

Maybe not teens at all Toss. This is not the first time around the Country in recent years. I"m just speculating but could it have a religious motive?

Strum
Administrator

Post by Strum » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:46 pm

Some new smilies need new names I just noticed as some ordinary words like "time" time comes up.

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Toss, parental control and responsibility started falling apart about 40/45 years ago. I first saw this when I moved into an estate in the early 70's and witnessed, first hand, parents denying wrongdoing by their precious son/daughter.

Sinéad

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:10 pm

Sinead wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:13 pm
Toss, parental control and responsibility started falling apart about 40/45 years ago. I first saw this when I moved into an estate in the early 70's and witnessed, first hand, parents denying wrongdoing by their precious son/daughter.

Sinéad
Too true and why should they ....... there is a myriad of excuses for youth crime today and treble that involved in addressing such behaviour, its big business.

gingertom
Advanced Member

Post by gingertom » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:52 pm

A figment of our imagination as humans sometimes results in our complex minds having a manufactured fantasy, married with belief and sometimes unfortunately acted out in imitation of what we view either in entertainment or reality.
It is very difficult to monitor children in terms of their access to the web. I have four teens and have their phone on a plan with the service provider which includes a function which permits me to monitor their usage of data. Toss is right when he notes that parents must be the oversight police, in terms of what their kids view online.
We must place proper enforceable laws on the books to protect citizens and especially our precious and influenceable youth from improper and devilish perceptions.

zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Toss wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:10 pm
Sinead wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Sinéad
Too true and why should they ....... there is a myriad of excuses for youth crime today and treble that involved in addressing such behaviour, its big business.
Toss, up to a while ago I was scepticle about the social services and supports being big business. Now, I am trying to open my eyes and whenever I get a chance to chat to someone whom I think might be "in the system" I try to get a handle and broaden my narrow mind. There I was the other day in a large waiting room of a hospital with the usual 20 odd waiting for the 10.00 hours appointment!! I brought up the subject of carers, child minding, social workers, etc..actually the girl was having a rant so I just had to nod and nod. She is having a relationship problem coupled with various abuses and is being visited by a Social worker, a psychologist, been referred for community programmes which included diet, nutrition advice etc. She is on the go every day attending this and that when all she wants is to be left alone to lick her wounds and try to cope with her small family but all these professionals are getting a salary to try and fix what is not really broken just bruised and sad.

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:15 am

Rocker wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:05 pm
but all these professionals are getting a salary to try and fix what is not really broken just bruised and sad.
Therein lies the problem ...... the state has created a monster by throwing money at problems. As soon as anyone asks a question of a Minister in the Dáil, there will be a list of responses spun out in order to show how the state is working to solve the issue. It is my belief that this is overkill and that empowering people to solve their own problems is the answer.

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 am

How awful to see fire destroy Notre Dame - a beautiful building and house of God destroyed. On the couple of occasions I visited this great edifice I was always amazed to watch how easily it all meshed together. A living religious building and one of the most tourist visited places in Paris.
it did bring back memories of destruction of St. Michael's Church in 1965.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:36 am

Free parking for the Easter Weekend!!! blobvb

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council is pleased to announce free parking for the Easter Weekend from Friday 19th April to Monday 22nd April inclusive. There will be no refunds given for any payments made during this weekend

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general- ... er-weekend

William Allen White

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:48 pm

Ok. I get it
Election poster do get noticed! :|

But I'm beginning to wonder is it just me who can only see the "mugshot" but not the name of the candidate or their party?
It's easy to image why a candidate might want to downplay their party but surely it would be in their interests to better-display their name?
dontknow

M.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sat May 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Micheál wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:48 pm
Ok. I get it
Election poster do get noticed! :|

But I'm beginning to wonder is it just me who can only see the "mugshot" but not the name of the candidate or their party?
It's easy to image why a candidate might want to downplay their party but surely it would be in their interests to better-display their name?
dontknow

M.
I'm like you Micheál. I can't figure out any of them! Mixing up the local lot with those going for Europe!! comehere

William Allen White

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 am

Rocker, one of the ladies minding me here in Caritas is a Rocker!!!! Julie Hickey from Brookfield, thought you would be chuffed to hear this

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sun May 19, 2019 12:54 pm

Sinead wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 am
Rocker, one of the ladies minding me here in Caritas is a Rocker!!!! Julie Hickey from Brookfield, thought you would be chuffed to hear this

You'll be well taken care of then. Wishing you a speedy recovery. You are missing nothing out here the weather is yucky and it is cold so spend your time getting fit for the real summer.

William Allen White

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Mon May 20, 2019 11:31 pm

I noticed an odd thing last week.

At the Ballymurphy Inquest, a paratrooper offered dramatic evidence of comrades running amok in Derry. By any standards of historical reporting on the North, this was quite some story. The following day, I went (on-line) to the Irish Times to read more. I couldn't find the story highlighted anywhere. After much digging, I eventually found it buried about 6-clicks down in the site. And I noticed too that the story was not under the byline of an IT reporter, just credited to a PA wire feed. (I didnt see the paper version, I wonder did it get due prominence there). I couldn't make sense of it at the time. I supposed the IT hadn't bothered to send a reporter and were now just embarrassed they missed the scoop.

Now I'm wondering might the IT establishment have had a different agenda. Maybe they didnt want to rock the boat in the advent of the arrival of a vip to these shores - the Paras Commander in Chief.

M.

Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Post by Dancer » Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 am

Traffic was a nightmare yesterday because himself and her nibs were in Powerscourt .

xx Dancer xx

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
― Bernard M. Baruch

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Tue May 21, 2019 11:19 am

Micheál wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:31 pm
Now I'm wondering might the IT establishment have had a different agenda. Maybe they didnt want to rock the boat in the advent of the arrival of a vip to these shores - the Paras Commander in Chief.

M.
It seems that Des Kelly is on high alert, looking for a carpet big enough to hide all the Ballymurphy dirt under ..... we are to believe that it is totally accidental that the Motherland would send over one of its benign figureheads exactly at a time when its past most vicious atrocities on this island is under investigation.

What happened at Ballymurphy should be front page news, but it seems Paddy knows his place and can initiate a full media black out when it suits..... impartial independent media is a myth, but lets look the other way like good subjects.

PS

Can you say 'rock the boat' when talking about said Commander in Chief :o

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Fri May 24, 2019 4:48 am

I did see coverage of the Ballymurphy inquest and the paratroopers bomb shell on both RTE and BBC NI but nothing on BBC 1 or 11 - exactly as it was when the atrocity happened. His statement cannot be overlooked, it may be put aside for a while but it will resurface. Justice will never be done but hopefully with such revelations the families will gain peace of some kind.

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:36 am

This is a very good outcome.

I'm not one to condone shooting anyone but this was a clear case of a Garda having to make a split second decision and doing a distasteful but absolutely right thing in very difficult circumstances. Policing at its best.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/g ... 86436.html

M.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:26 pm

Micheál wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:36 am
This is a very good outcome.

I'm not one to condone shooting anyone but this was a clear case of a Garda having to make a split second decision and doing a distasteful but absolutely right thing in very difficult circumstances. Policing at its best.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/g ... 86436.html

M.
I heard that outcome while I was driving and cheered. As you say on the day the Garda had to make a split second decision and did what I consider right at the time. A nightmare for all the families involved.

William Allen White

Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Post by Denis Cromie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:55 pm

I'm not so sure about Policing at it's best. Surely that would be to arrest him and have him stand trial for her murder.

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:55 pm
I'm not so sure about Policing at it's best. Surely that would be to arrest him and have him stand trial for her murder.
Yes of course DC.

I was just reflecting on the particular circumstances that this individual guard found himself in.

M.