Somewhere to Chat.

Drop in here to chat about anything, or if you're not sure where to put a topic, post it in here.
Toss
The Man.

Re: Somewhere to Chat.

Post by Toss » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:44 pm

Sinead wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:04 pm
Strum, it was set up for non Catholic children. It catered for many non Catholic denominations .
Paul McGrath, if I remember correctly, was from the Bird's Nest.
Paul was also in Racefield House at 3 Lower Mounttown Road

The Birds Nest has a very dubious history and has been subject to much speculation as to what went on there ....

https://theenchantingvalley.ning.com/ph ... xt=popular

http://francisahern.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... on-me.html

:( :( :(

According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Toss, I know/knew (I use this form as I think he has died) the person pictured in your second link! He would be about 76/78 years of age now.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:23 pm

I was having a chat with someone the other day and she said that Bakers Pub had changed hands? any news??

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:21 pm

The people who own the Leopardstown Inn bought it last year.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:48 pm

They have been expanding their pub portfolio abroad as well. I have heard talks of a food court being installed in bakers with a sports bar .... they obviously have money to spend.

I see the Magic Carpet in Cornelscourt is up for sale at €12m inc all the land around it. About time as it has been going downhill fast over the last 3/4 years, losing some good barmen and bringing in some that were allergic to work and would run and hide when a customer walked in. I expect apartments will be the order of the day with a smaller pub and the old crumbling building will be no more.

Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Post by Jemser » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:41 am

Baker's pub was bought by a consortium just before Christmas of last year. They have made a few changes, firstly to the food menu, which wasn't well received by the locals. Mainly because of the price jump and a retrograde step on menu variety and portion size. However they have apparently rowed back on a few favourite dishes. They have also installed a new glass smoking area!!!! and a new outside seating area for BBQs during the summer. There are other plans afoot with lots of rumours. Some of the staff have left and there are new faces on the staff. As always change is difficult to manage but inevitably change will occur, a new broom always sweeps clean. Standby for more changes!!!! PS They have also bought The Eagle House and are just waiting for the lease to finish before taking it over. They also have bars and restaurants in England Portugal and I think Spain.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:09 am

Jemser, if you drink there be kind to my grandson, he works there on Tuesdays and weekends. Quite a tall lad without a pick on him by name of Bob. He is normally behind the bar.

Sinéad

Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Post by Holla » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:05 am

Jemser,s correct about the food,we stopped off for grub in bakers about three weeks ago and the food wasn't at all up to it's old standard ,most important for the grub in your pub to be up to scratch as the reputation of the establishment is often built on it recamendation and word of mouth from customers is very important bakers has a good catchment area with factories and the hospital and a large nursing home and art college on it's doorstep along with the local clientele no room for penny pinching here start off on the right foot and reap the rewards.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Enough pub talk ....... how about the future and the way the world is changing. many of you will have heard today that Honda are pulling out of the UK (following Nissan a month or so ago). Whilst obviously Brexit had a bearing, the projected decline in diesel / petrol cars is being stated as the main factor. Upon a little further investigation, I found out that the Chinese are way ahead of us in terms of forward planning and building a sustainable future.

Have a look through this site http://www.byd.com/en/index.html and you will find that they are well down the road to non fossil fuel transport from cars to trains, electronics, batteries etc etc. Then you have the developmemt of "the internet of things" which may sound odd, but it makes sense when you realise how invasive the web has become .... https://www.wired.co.uk/article/interne ... lained-iot. Your TV, PC, Laptop, phone obviously connecting and sharing information .... but add in your watch / fitbit, your car, your fridge, your home with alarm / heating / power usage, etc etc .... all these are growing in connectivity at a rate.

Welcome to the new world order, where machines will do all the thinking for you :roll:

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Post by Micheál » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:53 pm

The big problem with the current state of the "Internet of things" is that the manufacturers of these "smart" devices have been so quick to get stuff to market, they have mostly neglected to develop appropriate security methods.

So you can use your smart phone to, say, turn on the porch light from the pub. Great!
But I can easily remove the smart bulb from your porch and with minimal electronics know how (& a soldering iron) figure out what your Routers password is.

There is another credible report out there of Alexa circulating a recorded conversation to everyone in a Contact list. (Alexa misheard a real private conversation and took it as an instruction to record and send).

I had personal experience of Alexa overhearing hearing a TV show and mistaking it as an instruction. :?

M.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:02 pm

I know nothing at all about gadgets but, I listen to a wonderful geeky girl on the radio and she tells me up to date things. The other day she was on and said that even geeky her couldn't imagine just how much info is out there about her. All the smart devices are tracking her every movement and she was able to get into google and it had all her activities from the minute she got out of bed! She was urging everyone to get into a link on google I think it was my activities...and edit what was in there.
I nearly died the other day when a visitor told me that her four year old uses Alexa as a friend!!and that her neighbours children had got Alexa as a companion for their aged father!! We used to get a radio and a dog!

William Allen White

GlenagearyGuru
Stellar Member

Post by GlenagearyGuru » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:43 am

"Every man sees in his relatives, and especially in his cousins, a series of grotesque caricatures of himself"

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:57 pm

GlenagearyGuru wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:43 am
"Every man sees in his relatives, and especially in his cousins, a series of grotesque caricatures of himself"
Glenageary Guru did you get a private message from your cousin who contacted this site looking for you??

William Allen White

Sinead
Skies are Blue

Post by Sinead » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:02 pm

Rocker: Do you think he will answer that question when he owes the cousin and lots of others money! Thank God I never gave him a penny. Does he owe you money?

Sinéad

Moosehamhead
Stellar Member

Post by Moosehamhead » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:54 pm

Rocker wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:57 pm
Glenageary Guru did you get a private message from your cousin who contacted this site looking for you??
He mere khoye hue bhaee, jo tujh se sunakar bahut prasann hue, ki mera pet phoola hua hai main ab tumhen peeem karoonga. aapase milane ke lie ek svargeey vebasait kya hai. dnc2 dnc2 dnc2

GlenagearyGuru
Stellar Member

Post by GlenagearyGuru » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:54 pm

Sinead wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:02 pm
Rocker: Do you think he will answer that question when he owes the cousin and lots of others money! Thank God I never gave him a penny. Does he owe you money?

Sinéad
Ah Sinéad,
As we say in this illustrious forum . . . "A near neighbour is better than a distant cousin"

GG

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 am

Let us hope, from the sound of it, that the distant cousins can't afford an air ticket!

William Allen White

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:12 pm

Shocking scenes on Westmoreland Street Wednesday night as a gang of youths attacked a Deliveroo guy for no reason other than they could...... https://dublingazette.com/news/gang-westmoreland-53848/

This is nothing new as over the last few years gangs of youths have grown in stature upon the realisation that adults cannot touch them, from jumping onto the dart and mugging people to ordering deliveries and mugging the delivery man. Sooner or later someone is going to take these thugs out and it will be hand wringer heaven as Joe Duffy stirs the pot..... we are wasting our time until the state starts to hit the parents where it hurts. I can guarantee you that youth crime would drop rapidly if parents children's allowance was to be cut as a result of their offspring's offending.

Yes, I'm very cruel and a bad man .... :?

keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Post by keeper » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:32 pm

Here's your brother in arms Toss, brought this method of trying to control this behaviour to a couple of other forums but got lambasted by mentioning it. Gingertom I suppose has explained to us here before how it would be difficult to do, bring back Lugs !! but I suppose in his time they fought with their fists, now it's knives and guns. I believe everyday policing is failing this country, the perpetrators are in a win win situation with very little chance of being apprehended let alone do any real "hard" time, gang culture is with us big time.

Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Post by Jemser » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:02 am

I think I posted my story before about intervening in an assault by a rather large guy on a tourist in the middle of Henry Street one Sunday afternoon. I simply ran in after this guy had vociously assaulted a slightly built tourist, who was lying unconscious in the street and the thug was running back in to kick him while he lay on the ground. The big brute ran off when he saw me running in shouting at him, for a moment I thought he was going to come for me but he turned and ran into the ILAC shopping centre. The wife of the man who was assaulted told me they were from London, here on a long weekend and that he was assaulted for no apparent reason. She asked me to call the Police and Ambulance and I waited with her until the Ambulance arrived some 20 minutes later., it was around 2pm when I left them. The ambulance took him to hospital and I don't know what happened after that. However I did receive a call from the Guards around 6 pm, to say that they were very busy and that they were sorry that they couldn't send anyone to the assault scene. I was absolutely amazed that an assault of that nature could occur in Henry Street with literally hundreds of witnesses and a plethora of CCTV cameras and not a Guard to be had. God save Ireland if this the response to a crime in broad daylight in the city. What chance does anyone have of getting a response for say a burglary or an accident. The Gardai have become an invisible force that are not on our streets and abandoned the people of Ireland. Where were the Guards during that fracas that Toss has brought our attention to? I despair!!!

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005

gingertom

Post by gingertom » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:34 am

There is a huge problem with this in Dublin city centre. Muggings and shoplifting are very common and the other common factor is that a drug habit or debt usually fuels this criminality. As an example, I am aware of women in their forties take to illegal street trading to pay drug debts. Exclusion orders can be made to keep those who are recidivist in these criminal practices, to forbid entry to clearly defined areas in order to prohibit their activities. I think that these should not be seen as petty crime simply because it has a big impact on wider society. That is though not to diminish the impact of a murder or other very serious offices, but they usually specifically affect a defined group of people or the individual victim, as opposed to the impact street crime/shoplifting has on us all. I think if we target the drugs gangs as we did with the creation of the Criminal Assets Bureau, and the associated powers they have, we could go a long long way to cleansing the streets of this problem. Take the gang's money and assets and you will take their authority and gain better control of our streets.

zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.

Rocker
Globetrotter

Post by Rocker » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:47 am

I spent nearly 50 years working in the city centre. In that time I watched it go from a decent place to a shambles. About thirty years ago the real drug problem started and the addicts started to openly rob people in specific places. I phoned the large police station near these events and was told on more than one occasion "Sorry that is a social problem and there is little we can do"!. the gangs then knew they could rob at will and with very little chance of being caught. Cameras were installed in certain areas but then again the boys knew the blind spots. Gingertom I know it is a good idea to take the money off the gangs (CAB etc)but, this money does not filter down to the unfortunate cloth shop owners on the targeted streets. The druggies attitude "shure their insurance covers the loses" and "we kneed to rob every day to feed the habit"BUT most of the little shops in the area I am thinking about had to close because they could not get insurance after a while! explain that on to the druggie as he yells at his pal over your head. This was all bad enough until we got organised "fly in for the day" lads and lassies from much tougher countries where a dig did not sort a problem. I would hate to be given the job of cleaning the streets!!definitely with our "Ah god love them, it's their lack of education and difficult childhood" approach to the courts system it must be frustrating beyond words.

William Allen White

gingertom

Post by gingertom » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:30 pm

Less illegal drugs for sale less theft and therefore less insurance claims and reduced refusals to small business for cover.
Break these drug gangs........and it will help fix our society.

zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.

Toss
The Man.

Post by Toss » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Jemser wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:02 am
The Gardai have become an invisible force that are not on our streets and abandoned the people of Ireland. Where were the Guards during that fracas that Toss has brought our attention to? I despair!!!
The problem is that this type of violent assault by young gangs has been increasing a lot in the last few years. The Garda know it and have confronted it.... they have made arrests and nothing changes as the youths are out and about the next day (taunting and abusing them). Off record, Garda will agree that their job has become impossible but they cannot say that publicly. I talked to an ex-garda last year and he said morale was at an all time low as the force had no power when it came to dealing with young offenders as the kids knew exactly what to say in order (and what accusations to make) to avoid detention of any sort. So who would want to be a Garda out on the streets today ?

The type of thuggery and violence that is happening around the city streets has nothing to do with drugs and everything to do with power and the lack of consequences for the perpetrators. Even the places of detention cannot cope https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2018/1 ... wn-report/ ........ youth crime is nothing new, what is new is childrens rights and that seems to have become pandora's box.

bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Post by bugrock » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:48 pm

Toss, I think there must be a collective consciousness around the world,as I see the same thuggery everywhere from young people.

If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!